When should I plant my garlic?

• 42 Replies

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
Re: When should I plant my garlic?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 23:41 »
My worry about garlic in modules is they may not be deep enough
I worried about that too, but they will only be in the modules until they sprout and then they will be in the soil, so I'm hoping they will be okay.  Last year because everything was so wet, I put them in a shuttle tray full of little 2" pots, but they seem to have disappeared. :(
Anne

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 19:25 »
I do mine in modules then into the plot when the bed is ready after the sweet corn or squashes are out.. They have time to start to build up a good set of roots before planting out.
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2013, 13:24 »
I've just put mine in modules as my supplier said to start them off for about 5 weeks then plant them out in a prepared   bed for winter.He also gave me an elephant garlic (which didn't do much last year ) it looked strange like an onion not a clove I have planted before,he said i.o.w grow them over 2 seasons and this was his first seasons stage,he says they keep some tricks to themselves,looking forward to to see the results I'll let you know.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 22:09 »
Planted mine yesterday ! with my first elephant garlic "cloves" maybe they take 2 years I don't know :)
I cook therefore I grow

gavinjconway

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2013, 08:45 »
I've just put mine in modules as my supplier said to start them off for about 5 weeks then plant them out in a prepared   bed for winter.He also gave me an elephant garlic (which didn't do much last year ) it looked strange like an onion not a clove I have planted before,he said i.o.w grow them over 2 seasons and this was his first seasons stage,he says they keep some tricks to themselves,looking forward to to see the results I'll let you know.

Some of mine were like onions and some cloved up normally... just some do and some dont.. they are delicious roasted tho!! 

(Last season I planted some round normal garlic and they grew really well..)  so I'm going to plant a couple of my elephant roundies as well this week to compare. They are tennis ball size so may end up with foot balls!!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2013, 09:39 »
Some of mine were like onions and some cloved up normally
Not enough frost / cold on them [over last winter] perhaps? Doesn't explain some-did/some-didn't though ...

al78

« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2013, 23:49 »
Some of mine were like onions and some cloved up normally
Not enough frost / cold on them [over last winter] perhaps? Doesn't explain some-did/some-didn't though ...

Last winter was colder than average and March was the coldest for 50 years (colder than any of the prior winter months), so I would be surprised if that was the reason.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 02:14 »
Last winter was colder than average and March was the coldest for 50 years (colder than any of the prior winter months), so I would be surprised if that was the reason.
Indeed, provided they were in the ground during the winter - rather than, say, in modules under cover and planted out later.

gavinjconway

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 16:59 »
Yup mine were in the cold frozen ground from 30 December - before that they were in their modules in a cold greenhouse with the door wide open.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 17:24 »
I've always planted out my garlic cloves in Spring with the onion sets and always had a decent harvest, apart from one batch this year for some strange reason (they are only now appearing!). After reading all the wisdom on here about Autumn planting I bought 12 bulbs of Marco (soft necked) yesterday and planted half the cloves (about 60) out in the plot. I'll plant the other 60 at end March with the onion sets and shallots and see for myself whether over-wintering makes any difference
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 17:29 by AlaninCarlisle »

gavinjconway

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 19:10 »
I've always planted out my garlic cloves in Spring with the onion sets and always had a decent harvest, apart from one batch this year for some strange reason (they are only now appearing!). After reading all the wisdom on here about Autumn planting I bought 12 bulbs of Marco (soft necked) yesterday and planted half the cloves (about 60) out in the plot. I'll plant the other 60 at end March with the onion sets and shallots and see for myself whether over-wintering makes any difference

Some types are for Spring planting but can also be planted now. Solent Whight I'm told are for Spring according to The Garlic Farm but I plant them now with great results..

crh75

« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2013, 14:36 »
The garlic farm's webiste says Solent Wight are for autumn or spring planting.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2013, 14:47 »
Mine went in at the weekend.

xx
When to plant Garlic?

Started by parttimer on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 11:52
by DD.
xx
Can I use my own garlic to plant?

Started by vineweevil1 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 10:21
by Hampshire Hog
xx
garlic and when can i plant it please

Started by chrissie B on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 12, 2011, 16:39
by chrissie B
xx
What to plant with garlic?

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 13, 2008, 17:02
by Greendream

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 38 queries.