Strawberry bed

• 3 Replies

Michael D

• Experienced Member
Strawberry bed
« on: October 16, 2011, 09:33 »
Hi all  i`v just started a bed,   plants are in,  all weed free,  do i cut all the leaves off and runners and   give them a feed and cover them up with straw for winter. any advice pls.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberry bed
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 09:47 »
I've just prepared my strawberries for winter. I cut off all the old leaves and any runners. At the centre of the plant you will see new leaves starting for next year. Apart from that and pulling any weeds thats all I do.

If anyone can suggest what/when to add fertiliser I'd be interested to know too.

Regards WG  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37 »
I just tidy up old leaves, dead fruiting stems and any runners and leave them to it (no need to cover with straw which harbours slugs and encourages mould growth - they are very hardy plants and don't need protection.)

Feeding is best done in spring using a tomato-type fertiliser, or at least not a high-nitrogen fertiliser as you don't want to encourage too much leaf production. A similar liquid feed can be given after fruiting (or in between fruitings in the case of everbearing types.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 16:13 »
I'm sure I have read on here that you feed them after they have fruited in order to get a good plant build up for fruiting next year.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Strawberry bed - Strawberry sawfly

Started by R0b1et on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post October 04, 2023, 13:12
by R0b1et
xx
strawberry bed

Started by AmandaLouise on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 09:15
by grendel
xx
strawberry

Started by moomoos42 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 10:34
by ex-cavator
xx
strawberry(s)

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2010, 22:07
by brownp

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 34 queries.