read (misread) hydrometer

• 2 Replies

anitaws

read (misread) hydrometer
« on: October 27, 2011, 20:32 »
I know I should look twice and act once.  Its only the first time I've used a hydrometer or made beer.  I left it in the bucket and thought it had got stuck fermenting.  I've put a second batch of yeast in today and then realised that it was probably in the right place to put into the barrel after all.

Is it still going to be drinkable, I do like the Wherry ale that we had around Norfolk.  What have I done to it?  Is it recoverable, its certainly bubbling away like it never had before now.

Help please, I do know it was a dumb thing to do.

Anita

anitaws

Re: read (misread) hydrometer
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 09:17 »
seems to have made no difference, finished at 1008, kit said to be under 1014, will be kegging this week.  looks nice and clear and smells good to.

SG6

Re: read (misread) hydrometer
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 15:29 »
As best I can read this you have added a second batch of yeast in after a few days.
If that is it then no problem, the initial yeast will multiply several times over in the brew, when you added the second it was probably 1 unit added to a mixture that already had 30-50 times the original amount present.

Also the shock of getting dropped in an alcoholic mix probably killed of half what you added the second time.

As long as it was not 10-20 packets and the mix was fermenting I cannot see a problem.

xx
Easy to read hydrometer

Started by David. on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 14:33
by David.
xx
hydrometer

Started by audrey padmore on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2011, 15:39
by crh75
xx
Hydrometer question

Started by Tricky on Homebrew

9 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 11:01
by too many girls
xx
Beer hydrometer for cider

Started by teflon on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 17:49
by teflon

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 38 queries.