Explosive Elderflower shower!!

• 3 Replies

rozalia

Explosive Elderflower shower!!
« on: July 27, 2010, 18:40 »
Elderflower champagne that I made 3 weeks ago is still very gassy and I am still degassing (one bottle exploded on Sunday night).  How much longer will I need to take the pressure off for?
(video clip on Y Tube shows bottles exploding at 180ppsi - very entertaining!).

rock_chick

Re: Explosive Elderflower shower!!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 20:01 »
I'm interested to know the answer too- we made ours 6 weeks ago (we did add a tiny bit of brewers yeast), and the 2 remaining bottles are still very pressurised. We release the pressure daily, and yet the pressure builds up so much that it compresses the liquid inside (which we're all amazed at!)
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

ex-cavator

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 23:40 »
Elderflower champagne that I made 3 weeks ago is still very gassy and I am still degassing (one bottle exploded on Sunday night).  How much longer will I need to take the pressure off for?
(video clip on Y Tube shows bottles exploding at 180ppsi - very entertaining!).

I've just released the pressure on mine having read this - probably just as well I did - lets just say they were pretty well pressurised  :blush:

Have you got a link to the You Tube clip? - can't find it  :unsure:

rozalia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 21:05 »
Sorry - not Y Tube : If you google pressure testing of coke bottles you'll be able to watch the bottles deforming in slow motion (usually at 170 pounds/si +) and then exploding viciously.  Our bottles are kept in a shed near the back of the house and the explosion happened at 11pm.  We were in  the front of the house and heard this  huge bang.  Luckily it didn't happen in the early hours as our neighbours would probably have called the police about the gunshot, as that is what it sounded like.

I added wine yeast to my brew after 3 days as it wasn't doing anything.  I'm just surprised that it's still giving off so much gas after this length of time and I really wanted to know when its going to be safe just to pop my head into the shed without the fear of a champagne shower and probable deafness from the explosion!

xx
Elderflower IPA

Started by Newportalien on Homebrew

2 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 12:39
by Newportalien
xx
Elderflower

Started by digital_biscuit on Homebrew

44 Replies
Last post July 29, 2009, 12:30
by 8doubles
xx
elderflower

Started by Kiwi on Homebrew

4 Replies
Last post December 19, 2008, 09:19
by DD.
xx
elderflower champagne

Started by gardengran on Homebrew

1 Replies
Last post July 16, 2008, 18:27
by monkeybum

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 36 queries.