bull neck on overwintred onions

• 8 Replies

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
bull neck on overwintred onions
« on: June 19, 2013, 14:17 »
some of my overwintered onions have bull necks (so my sister says) she reckons i over manured them.
is she right? some do have a thick neck i agree, also some went to seed, and about half developed normal big onions.  Should i not be manuring them well?

Trillium

Re: bull neck on overwintred onions
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 14:52 »
Onions need some manuring but not too much or yes, they will develop thick necks that won't store or will go to seed. Sounds like you won't need any manure this fall, but next year apply just a little rotted manure in early fall and let it sit for a bit before planting.

fatcat1955

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 17:03 »
I would not worry too much. Most over-wintered onion's do not store that well anyway.

Totty

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 17:10 »
I never manure a plot before planting onions. They don't tend to store as well. I usually add some leafmold to the bed heavily manured the previous year for corn and squashes, and grow onions in that.

Totty

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 17:28 »
well it looks like i was abit over enthusiatic then, so i reckon ill put them in the squash area this november with no added extras (or just abit of leafmould)  and see what happens.

on the onion theme: when is the right time to plant out the seeds that i will be starting off myself in trays next spring? i didnt plant this years on the plot till may, was that too late, as they are still small (they are ailsa craig)
(and are the requirements the same reference the manure?)

Sorry to go on, but i love my onions :)

Totty

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 18:08 »
Ailsa Craig are usually sown in either dec, jan, or feb, then grown on until planting out in mid April.

Totty

seaside

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 19:17 »
I use my over wintered onions from June throughout the Summer, whilst waiting for the best Summer crop I can get. I get more bolting onions from the over wintered crop than the Summer one ... 5% to date this year... Setton.
This year I used a few chicken manure pellets on the onion beds, and the greenery does seem rather more lush than normal I guess but that might be down to the variety. But the onions do seem to be behaving and starting to bulb up nicely.

The thickest necks on the onions do recede somewhat as the onion goes into shut down mode and then through the drying process. I haven't had any storage problems at all, but then I tend to poke and prod and filter out for first use those that feel likely to not last. I'm very fond of my onions, they have few problems apart from a bit of white rot fluff if planted in a certain part of my plot. It's nice to have a crop that reward you consistently.

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 21:04 »
Remember when buying set's that the smaller one's are better.

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 07:16 »
well thanks to you all for passing on your tips for successful onions.  i thought i was getting it wrong somewhere but couldnt find out where till i posed direct questions on here. 
as you say seaside its nice to have a crop that are so rewarding.
many thanks to you all :)

xx
Onions-neck rot?

Started by penninehillbilly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 15:44
by Trillium
xx
Onions...getting a small neck?

Started by BicesterKev on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 14, 2013, 14:03
by crh75
xx
Garlic - hard neck versus soft neck

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2015, 09:04
by Snoop
xx
Onion neck rot

Started by engineer on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 16:38
by engineer

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.