Laying life of Ex Batts

• 10 Replies

RachelO

Laying life of Ex Batts
« on: July 11, 2007, 08:26 »
Hi All

Just curious about this one. I've had my 4 ex-batts for about 8 months now. All are still laying an egg a day but two of them have started to lay eggs with thin shells. is it their age? Does anyone know roughly how long I can expect them to keep laying for and also how long to ex-batts normally live?
I've heard that many don't last that long but so far (touch wood) Olive, Doris, Mavis and Maud are thriving!
Any answers appreciated! Best wishes
Rachel
PS. Anyone seen the sun lately :-(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 13:43 »
Ive no experience with exbats. but Grannie has, she'll be along before tool ong :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 21:16 »
I'm here, but briefly!!!  

We've had our last lot of ex-batts for 10 and 3 months.  out of 70, we have 53 left, but they are only bred to be short lifers as they only lay commercially for 72 weeks.  Batts are more stressed than free range chooks, so usually don't last very long.  However, I have heard of them living for up to another 4 years.

From those 53, we are getting between 1 and 2 dozen eggs a day at the moment, but a lot of them are soft or thin shelled, and as they get older, many of the whites of the egg are very watery.  But I can't really tell you how long they will lay, as it all depends on the individual chicken.  

But don't get upset when they just die on you.  Its normal for the hybrids I'm afraid.  I've tried everything to get them better or laying more......

Vitamin D, more greens, multi-vits, cod liver oil, oyster shell and grit for shell strength, everything!  Hpe this helps a bit, be back tomorrow, as I've got to go to work now.  But good luck!!!!! And remember, even if they only last a few weeks, they've had a good life at the end!!!!

RachelO

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:02 »
Thank you! Really appreciate the info as I don't know anyone else with ex-batts. I'll just make sure I let them have a happy and as comfortable life as possible - even if it does end up being a relatively short one!!
They really are lovely girls :-)

Gloria

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 10:21 »
Hi Rachel
good luck with your ex battery girls. From the reports of others on this forum it sound like nursing them back to health and fitness is very rewarding. We are due to get some to add to our flock on 1 September :) so I can't wait  :tongue2: I'd be really interested to hear how your girls get on :)
Not much sun in Manchester either :cry: Plenty of rain though :!:  :?

RachelO

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 10:31 »
Thanks Gloria, good luck when you get your girls. They do look a bit 'oven ready' at first, bless them. It's really wonderful to see them scratching and stretching and generally enjoying the outside world after the awful time they've had. Very rewarding indeed!!  :lol:  x

Gloria

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39 »
:)

belladonna

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 14:19 »
Hi!
I've had a lot of ex-batts before, I wouldn't worry about how long they'll live, most of ours lived at least 2-3 years after we got them, some lived more than 4 years after we got them :D. In the beginning, I've found that you do have some unusual eggs, a lot of ours were weird shapes and had strange wave-like patterns on the shells, and many were soft shelled. However, these problems stopped with time, though we have had a couple of choocks that never stopped laying soft eggs no matter what we did.

agapanthus

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 17:52 »
I've got 1 ex-battery hen who is at least 6 years old :) The other 3 are about 18months old but still laying very well and are fit and healthy :)

RachelO

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 17:52 »
Thank you! Good to know that they could be around for quite some time yet!

barneyowl

Laying life of Ex Batts
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:22 »
Thankyou for solving some little mysteries for me.  I have  had six exbatts for 7 months now and they really are looking good.  A reall joy to have watched them thrive and be happy.  But I have been getting some watery eggs and soft shelled ones and yes... some weird shaped ones too  :?  but as  they share with my other hens I wasn`t sure who the cuprits were.  Now I know.   They are the funniest creatures.. far more personality than my other chooks. I hope they stay healthy, happy and continue to lay for some time to come.  :D
who cares wins

xx
Ex batts not laying regularly

Started by new heather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 18:24
by alancane
xx
Ex batts have stopped laying completly

Started by Nails on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 20:37
by min200
xx
Laying life

Started by gsc on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 07:22
by gsc
xx
Coming to the end of her laying life?

Started by Foghorn-Leghorn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 22:08
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 38 queries.