Perches

• 6 Replies

Blarney

• Experienced Member
Perches
« on: June 27, 2010, 10:37 »
We are about to move our four hens into a new, home-built, coup.  Please can someone advise me on the best perches for them/

So, round or square?  Square with rounded off edges or round round?  I hope you know what I mean! :lol:

The diameter of the perch?

Height from floor?

Space between.

Thank you

:) :) :) :) :) :)
Claire x

"Noise proves nothing. Often a hen who has merely laid an egg cackles as if she laid an asteroid.” Mark Twain

Jeanette

Re: Perches
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 11:22 »
From what i have been told the perches need to be 1inches thick with rounded of edges.
but i am not sure about height only that they need to be higher than the nesting box. Don't know about space but i am sure someone will help you soon.

robinson

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 14:46 »
I have a homemade coop and struggled to get the perches right.  The hens spent many weeks on the floor rather than perching despite my best efforts to teach them.  In the end I have ended up with a rounded fence pole, which I put onto two house bricks and they love it.  They have also got one outside balanced on some other reclaimed wood so that they can look out across the allotments.

Hope this helps

Paula

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 15:17 »
Perches are supposed to be 2"x2", square with rounded off upper edges.  Some people say 12 inches of perch space per bird, but I was told years ago about 9 inches as they coochy up together so much.  Perches should be higher than the nest boxes.  1 inch is too thin, their toes shouldn't meet underneath!

Saying that, my perches are the same height as the nest boxes!  People use old branches too.

Caro10

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 14:50 »
My perches, in pre-fab coop are lower than the nest boxes.  really only 3 inces off the ground.  Is that really bad?  Could be why at least 1 of them is sleeping in the nest boxes???  Not sure carpentry skills are up to rigging somehting up, do I need to?

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 23:10 »
I use old banister rail about 18in high and 4ft wide, my 6 exbatts always end up snuggled up together on same one

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:25 »
Lots of old posts on this; a search will bring up some good stuff. For my two pen'orth I'd also think how your going to clean and how to avoid lots of crevices for mites to hide. For poo picking it is useful to slope the floor under the perches and a raised floor can stop birds going under the perches to sleep (oh yes they do!). Don't expect them to behave properly, there's always one who will sleep lengthways and one who will be grumpy and puff herself up to the size of an elephant once on the perch. They seem to manage OK!
Caro, is there room to just block the perches up, using say bricks or wooden blocks? Then you could see if it makes any difference.

xx
Perches

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 20:12
by ness
xx
Perches

Started by Pixiewish on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 19:12
by jhub
xx
Perches

Started by rugbyman on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 22:33
by mpv1961
xx
Perches

Started by lamina on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2009, 06:53
by GTO

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 38 queries.