Flies

• 9 Replies

nzdunn

Flies
« on: June 08, 2009, 19:49 »
I was just wondering does any of yous have problems with flies.    Ive just been out there giving the girls a wee treat and there was about 6 big blue bottle flies on the wall, god i hate them they drive me nuts.    Anybody got any tips on how to get rid of them.   I do have a fly catcher the one where the flies fly into but then get trapped and carnt fly out and then die in the fly food water, im just wondering though with that have i actually attracted flies to me, shall i get rid of it.    The thing with the catcher i have it seems to small for the big blue bottles to get into, do those fly papers work on them.     nickyx

mrs.ploppy

• Experienced Member
Re: Flies
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 20:02 »
I use the old fashioned fly papers reather than anything else.  The pleasure you get watching the dirty things stuck to it!  Also good animal husbundry even out side in hot weather helps.  Human food scraps that are not totally eaten will attract the flies and not forgetting the chicken poo to clear up.....mind you some of mine have good sport trying to catch them! LOL
mrs.ploppy

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 20:11 »
I've got fly paper up too.

The big fat blue bottles don't seem to interested but the smaller flies all get stuck on it.

trinacooke

• www.freewebs.com/trinacooke
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 20:23 »
Hi Hemcore bedding is really good for the coop and run as it is teated with cironella and the flies etc hate that!......... smells lovely and the chooks dont mind it I have been using it for ages now and use it for my rabbits aswell ... defenately not as many flies around!!

Trina x
Breeder, Judge & Exhibitor of Quality Netherland Dwarf, Hulstlander & Himalayan Rabbits

4x chickens 30x rabbits, 2x dogs, 15x ferrets oh and 2 children and a hubby!!!!!

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 20:46 »
sorry to sound stupid but everynite i poo pick with a dustpan and brush especially easy are the hard ones that just roll up, its those other ones that i hate sorry only way to describe them are the ones in a sort of shell and you try and scoop them up and all this gooey stuff comes out, how do you get them up off the grass and also the softer ones, any tips       nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 21:52 »
nicky for the gooey ones you are better trying to pick them up using your hands - remember to wear latex gloves though  :D, you may have to pull up some grass with them though, either that or a blast with the hose - that breaks it down and it soaks into the lawn giving it some great fertilizer.
Staffies are softer than you think.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 11:20 »
for the gooey ones, i find that putting a bit of dry soil or sand over it then scooping it up with the shovel. (like they do with vomit....)
 :D

craig1981

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 11:23 »
i hope my wife doesnt read this . We are on day 7 of chicken keeping and i finally got her to poo pick last night . Comparing it to picking up vomit  definately isnt gonna help .  :D

too many girls

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 11:26 »
for the gooey ones, i find that putting a bit of dry soil or sand over it then scooping it up with the shovel. (like they do with vomit....)
 :D
yuk.......... too much detail,
 Pip and i muck out our hens and ducks once a week on a sunday, we don't seem to have a problem with fly's (they are probably all on the muck heap) i don't bother with poops on the grass just watch where i walk in flip flops :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 11:35 »
on our grass I don't usually bother either but then I don't have kids, so went out and had a go to try and help nicky - the things you do for people on here   ;) I think of it as fertilizer for the lawn. It did remind me of picking up my dog poop though but a lot smaller and less smelly  :blink:.
In the shed the hemcore absorbs the moisture making it into hard poops - tons easier to pickup. Wonder if I could train the dogs to do theirs on hemcore?

xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
flies???

Started by justin hender on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 09, 2008, 13:53
by richyrich7
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull
question
Flies

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

82 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 36 queries.