past presenters of gardener's world

• 14 Replies

rowlandwells

past presenters of gardener's world
« on: November 02, 2022, 15:54 »
 for those of you who were  watching gardeners would last week and didn't fall asleep did you see the section of past G/W presenters over the years now correct me if I'm wrong but amongst all those past presenters they didn't mention Geofrey Smith a Yorkshireman who I believe was a one-time presenter of G/W probably typical of the good old beeb not to mention good old Geofrey then again, I'm not surprised  they only tell you what to tell you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: past presenters of gardener's world
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 16:22 »
A quick Google says
Geoffrey Denis Smith was a professional gardener, broadcaster, writer and lecturer. He was the presenter of Gardeners World from 1980 to 1982

I don't watch GW any more, so wouldn't know if they missed him....

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 16:39 »
I think they did mention him  :unsure:. Can you rewatch it on the iplayer Rowlands?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 07:57 »
I used to listen to him while driving around on Fridays, (I think), on GQT, and he was a great professional, with firm views! He'd probaby have hated the way gardening is portrayed these days!

When you can remember his name, togther with Peter Seabrook, Professor Alan Gemmell, (whom I didn't know, always disagreed with Bill Sowerbutts), Stefan Buczacki, (who was the only person I ever heard who could prononce 'Fenitrothian' correctly), and Bob Flowerdew, I'm also reminded of my first ever gardening book which was Percy Thrower's tome! All these names were legend!

I don't bother listening or watching any more, there's much more detail online - and here of course!

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2022, 10:07 »
I don't watch it either but sincerely hope they mentioned Geoff Hamilton!  :)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 17:28 »
they did briefly mention my hero Goeff Hamilton GG pity they can't dig him up and put him back on gardener's world because when he presented G/W it was a proper program for gardeners not a nannie's program as it is now, I still love to watch G/W because it sends me to sleep very quickly so when I wake up, I'm refreshed for the next prog

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 08:52 »
I did re-run last night of gardener's world snowdrops and there was no mention of Geoffrey Smith or Toby Buckland for that matter as he did do a few presentations then again would I expect anything less from the BBC now gardener's world has finished for another year how am I going to get my Friday nights zzz in :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2022, 12:23 »
Rowland, Geoff was the man I accidentally came across one afternoon many years ago, and that's why he got me into gardening. He just made you feel that you didn't have to be any sort of expert or to have any knowledge to produce veg or flowers. Many years ago I had a weekend in a small B&B and went to Barnsdale to wander around and see the various gardens that he created, then I visited his grave and gave thanks for all he did for me.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2022, 17:21 »
I think you were very fortunate to meet Geoff Hamilton he must have inspired many people to take up gardening we have been to Barnsdale on several occasions its only about an hour's drive from here I can remember seeing the bust of Geoff sitting there when you went into the garden it's nice to see Geoff's son Nick has left most of Geoff's projects as much as Geoff left them also Barnsdale host's nice restaurant to
 that's a nice thought GG to visit Geoff's grave something to remember when we next visit Barnsdale

Geoff Hamilton was a good presenter of gardener's world both for his plant knowledge and the ability to recycle at the same time saving you money the BBC in my opinion will never replace Geoff a good sound man and my hero :(

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2022, 18:40 »
I'm finding that I don't enjoy, and certainly don't rely on, the advice from most of the gardening stuff on TV these days; there's far too much 'diversity' from the real issues, such as growing carrots without the fly, or providing a year's supply of vegetables from scratch on a plot 10' x 10'!

The gardeners from our previous generation just did the right thing, (mostly), and I learned some of their skills and kept them safe, but there's far too much diversion from the 'real project' which is to get dug-in, chop the weeds, and provide the veg as instructed by those who knew and do it as it should be done!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2022, 18:52 »
What we need is an Allotment Garden programme  :D
Don't think there's much chance of getting one, as it seems every now and then, they try to  get rid of GW....
Gardening is just not 'fashionable' enough to count for much, but if people do really have to start growing their own, just to get through hard times - they might just reconsider  :unsure:

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2022, 06:51 »
What we need is an Allotment Garden programme  :D
Don't think there's much chance of getting one, as it seems every now and then, they try to  get rid of GW....
Gardening is just not 'fashionable' enough to count for much, but if people do really have to start growing their own, just to get through hard times - they might just reconsider  :unsure:

If there was more quality and quantity on such platforms as YouTube, maybe sponsored by seed companies, compost suppliers etc., we could even get a better service in the importance of growing one's own, on whatever scale! TV channels usually just reach the lowest denominator of their watchers/listeners to get their RAJAR up to scratch, and leave it at that, so aren't really doing the proper job of encouraging gardening and allotment work.

Surely some national advertising - even sponsored by the big food stores - could bring an interesting subject to everyone's phone or PC?

Here you are John, your next challenge..:0~

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2022, 14:19 »
I've said past replies John would make an excellent presenter and I am somewhat surprised any of the commercial channels haven't got involved to introduce a garden program at present I'm only aware of 2 basic garden programs gardeners world and beachgrove maybe Beachgrove has more of a growing presentation? I think Growster has put his reply in its context couldn't agree more

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2022, 17:03 »
I've said past replies John would make an excellent presenter and I am somewhat surprised any of the commercial channels haven't got involved to introduce a garden program at present I'm only aware of 2 basic garden programs gardeners world and beachgrove maybe Beachgrove has more of a growing presentation? I think Growster has put his reply in its context couldn't agree more

Just clicked on this Rowland!

https://www.backyardgardenlover.com/best-youtube-gardening-channels/

Blimey - that was quick, John!

PS - Not sure you'd like this bit though, Mums...

https://www.backyardgardenlover.com/how-to-prune-mums/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 17:04 by Growster... »

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2022, 11:32 »
thanks, Growster Il have a look at that sometime

xx
Gardener's World - Not what Geoff would have done.

Started by adri on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post May 18, 2019, 12:58
by Goosegirl
xx
Christmas past

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2021, 12:27
by Goosegirl
xx
finding your past

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post August 17, 2018, 20:07
by chrissie B
xx
AM I PAST MY SELL-BY DATE

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post March 25, 2018, 10:28
by John

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 51 queries.