Anybody grown borlotto beans?

• 3 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anybody grown borlotto beans?
« on: March 28, 2011, 13:47 »
I'm trying them this year for the first time. I started some off in 3" pots and I'm a little stunned by their speed of growth. They starting coming through very quickly, just a few days, and within just a few days of coming through they're almost a foot high :)

Do they always grow this fast? Don't think it's anything to do with lack of light because as soon as they started germinating I started chucking them outside in the daytime. If I'd realised they'd grow so fast I wouldn't have started them off so early, because I can't leave them in those 3" pots for long.

bigben

Re: Anybody grown borlotto beans?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 13:57 »
I hate to discourage you but I did the same two years ago. Mine came up big, faster than my french beans and I then ended up putting them out too soon and they died - had to start again.

I had them in paper pots, if yours are in slightly larger pots then try to keep them going longer. Try to harden them off gently if you can, I did not, came back a week later to find all but two were destroyed by the wind.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 14:00 »
and they can't go out till it's frost freee. They are not usually sown until the end of April, like runner beans.

So you're in a bit of pickle aren't you :nowink:.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 14:16 »
Well, if I have to I can always move them on into larger pots, it's only one wigwam worth so not a lot of plants. As long as they're outside in the daytime I can keep them inside overnight for a while. I always tend to put tender stuff outside a bit earlier than the safe date, I am in the southwest and my garden is very sheltered by a lot of woodland, so I should be able to get them out in April. But these do take the record for the fastest growing seedlings I've ever done.

xx
Borlotto Fagioli Nani beans anyone grown them before ? Advice please hight

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:24
by aubergine
xx
Borlotto Beans, How To Eat?

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 20, 2008, 23:00
by pedro
clip
Borlotto beans

Started by lettice on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 02, 2017, 07:14
by snowdrops
xx
Borlotto Beans

Started by Mark E Smith on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 14:46
by gobs

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 37 queries.