growing medium

• 11 Replies

evie2

growing medium
« on: April 25, 2014, 13:50 »
We are growing veg this year as a family, our garden's huge so there's plenty room but not enough soil.  Can we use normal potting compost to add bulk to what soil we have?
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: growing medium
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 13:52 »
Yes, although I suspect you'll need far more than you think to make any significant difference.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

evie2

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 14:01 »
I know and it doesn't help the garden slopes.  There's a bit of soil we can move, we grew potatoes on it but it's been covered and not use for 2 seasons and I was thinking about adding it to that.

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 14:17 »
You could always get some mushroom compost and add it to cheap compost then dig it into your soil to bulk it out.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Spr0ut

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 14:28 »
maybe look up lasagne gardening on the 'net - might help to bulk up your soil beds without the expense of shop bought compost and quicker to construct than you might think.

evie2

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 15:10 »
No such thing as lasagna gardening :nowink:  Put on my reading glasses and hay presto lasagne gardening :) always helps to have the right glasses on ;)  That looks interesting :)

Spr0ut

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 15:18 »
No such thing as lasagna gardening :nowink:  Put on my reading glasses and hay presto lasagne gardening :) always helps to have the right glasses on ;)  That looks interesting :)

- of course - it helps if I SPELL it right! I've been gardening like this for a few years now and I have given up digging, just need a fork to lift some veggies at harvesting. Only other tools you need are a trowel and hand fork. Tons of worms!

NewSteve

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 16:40 »
You absolutely should add compost and/or manure to your garden soil. The extra organic matter is vital for making water and nutrients available to your veg. And you won't grow much without fertilizer either - organic or otherwise! 8)

Be careful what you mean by "normal potting compost" though. Potting mixes are designed for just that (potting) and have added nutrients to meet the needs of potted plants. This obviously makes them way more expensive than generic multipurpose compost (MPC).

There's a never ending dsicussion about the merits of different compost brands on here, but I'd get down to B&Q and grab a few 125L bags of Verve MPC for £6 each. It's cheap and it's compost.

Steve

Never stop learning

Nobbie

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 17:14 »
We are growing veg this year as a family, our garden's huge so there's plenty room but not enough soil.  Can we use normal potting compost to add bulk to what soil we have?

Why not just get some more topsoil delivered in bulk bags? Probably be cheaper and longer lasting than compost that will gradually disappear.

3759allen

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 17:30 »
compost would be an expensive way to go imo.

if you really do need it for this season then mushroom compost or rotted manure would be the less expensive option. or asking for good quality top soil on freecycle or gumtree would be even cheaper.

if you can make do this year with what you've got then getting fresh manure, dead leaves, and organics to add to a compost heap you could make your own material to add to your soil next year. again freecycle or gumtree have been very useful to me for getting free organic matter, as you as you don't a bid of effort to collect and rotting down.

evie2

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 19:37 »
Horse country round here so always bags of the good stuff for free :) I looked at top soil and it was very expensive.  The potting compost I now realise, was MPC which I've used before in large tubs and at the end of the season added to the soil along with well rotted manure and home made compost.  Lots to think about, thank everyone :)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 20:34 »

Why not just get some more topsoil delivered in bulk bags? Probably be cheaper and longer lasting than compost that will gradually disappear.

For some unknown reason, when the council decided to remove the old manure heap from the allotments and put a plot there instead (mine!), they used an excavator - and took off all the topsoil underneath (the wallies). I looked at buying topsoil from a local company, and they were charging £80/tonne for it.

So, maths time: let's say that 125L bag of compost weighs about 20Kgs, at £6/bag.

1-tonne of topsoil = 1000 Kgs = 50 x 20Kg bags.
@ £80/tonne = £1.60/20Kg

1-tonne of compost in 20Kg bags would cost you: 50 x £6 = £300

This means that one tonne of topsoil would cost £80, and one tonne of compost would cost you £300.

Looking at that, I know which way I'd go!  :D
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

xx
Growing Medium

Started by eeedowls on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 04, 2010, 10:33
by eeedowls
xx
Advice on growing medium

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 14, 2018, 15:12
by Goosegirl
xx
What is best seedling growing medium

Started by skatenchips on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 13:45
by TerryB
xx
Onion Growing medium

Started by dbo679 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 26, 2008, 08:49
by Yabba

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 38 queries.