Kids tools

• 9 Replies

savbo

Kids tools
« on: April 03, 2009, 23:41 »
Hi all

Apart from Bulldog and the like (which are super for 9-13yo) anyone recommend spade/fork/rake for younger kids? Our 5yo would love to do some proper work on her part of the alloment (or allockment - well you need a key to get in don't you?) and the plastic ones or a steel trowel don't cut the mustard....

M

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Kids tools
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 08:14 »
Harrods do the Joseph Bently range which are about 2'6" tall. http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/product/Garden%20Tools_Children''s%20Gardening%20tools/CGA-205.htm
(but this link might get removed as I am not known yet).

They are good quality, (and matching price) and are the same construction as adult tools, so will last a long time, and can be handed on.

Having said that, children are not as bothered about what they are using as their parents sometimes are. The very young ones will be quite happy using mum's or dad's tools, until they get interested in something else. It's the time you give them which is important, not so much the goodies.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 09:27 »
thanks oldbean! Think they'll still be a bit big so we'll carry on with the beach spade and trowel - at least until Lidl get the folding shovels in again, they're perfect!

M

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 19:28 »
I was in my local Wyevale today and they had a range of kids tools - kind of half way between beach and proper spade etc.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 21:01 »
You could try the wolf attachments with a short handle. Then they can keep their tools for ever, and just get a longer handle as they grow.

savbo

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:37 »
well we went for the yeominis spade and rake from our local Wyevale (more or less as cheap as amazon) - quite flimsy but will do a year or two, and our wee one has already used them on the lottie... And I'll be looking around for old Bulldog tools to see if I can make a short hande for them...

Thanks for help and advice everyone

David.

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 21:34 »
There's a cracking small (only 27" high) version of a proper spade available in QD Stores for £4.99 - great for kids at the plot or on the beach in summer (but much, much better than than seaside spade):

Storefinder - http://www.qdstores.co.uk/storefinder.asp

savbo

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 10:44 »
ooooh that's nice. Pity we don't have QD up here... and no relatives in east anglia!

David.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 21:13 »
ooooh that's nice. Pity we don't have QD up here... and no relatives in east anglia!

I posted because thought it it help others, or maybe someone could identify another store selling them.

Cheap rakes and hoes bought from boot sales can easily have their handles cut down or temporarily replaced with shorter lengths of broom handle.

Forks are a bit more tricky as although old 'ladies forks' (car boots again) are a nice small size, the prongs can be rather thin, pointed and dangerous.

savbo

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:20 »
I borrowed a Bulldog spade from work and it's about the size of the one in the pic - a bit big for our wee one yet but SO much better than the 'toy' one...

Thanks everyone

xx
Tools

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 07, 2015, 12:43
by grendel
xx
Tools

Started by Plot74 on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 23:06
by Plot74
xx
what tools do I need?

Started by subeyman on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post May 15, 2009, 19:11
by Eatyourgreens
xx
old tools

Started by griff on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 19:47
by Trillium

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 30 queries.