Do leek seedlings need thinning out?

• 13 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Do leek seedlings need thinning out?
« on: April 18, 2011, 15:13 »
I've sown my leeks in deep pots a la John's video on here. His advice is really regarding planting out but makes no mention of care beforehand. Do i need to thin them out (i just 'broadcast' by hand) and now i have 40/50 seedlings per 8" pot. I did see some advice about feeding them with a dilute solution of seaweed liquid feed. Also, i have them in our conservatory at the moment but they'd get better light in the greenhouse but i'm worried about them overheating. Any thoughts at all please?

simonwatson

Re: Do leek seedlings need thinning out?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 15:21 »
You only need to thin them enough that they can grow to about finger thickness in the pot before you plant them out. They'll look pretty crowded, but will be OK. The root will be very tangles when you try and get them out but if you soak the whole lot in a bucket of water they'll separate nicely for planting out.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 15:25 »
Thanks for the reply Simon but what is too crowded and which is just right?!? I guess at the moment most of the seedlings are about 15mm from each other, give or take?

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 15:27 »
I saw an online advice video where the guy had a couple of hundred in a single large container (think stacking storage boxes).

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 15:52 »
Thanks for the reply Simon but what is too crowded and which is just right?!? I guess at the moment most of the seedlings are about 15mm from each other, give or take?

Sounds like yours have plenty of space , do not get disappointed if they do not get to finger thickness (i wish) or even pencil thickness . Most of mine are drinking straw diameter when they get dibbed out. :)

I still get good leeks. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 15:58 »
Leeks really do not need to be in a conservatory/greenhouse, gradually hardened them off and then put the container out in the garden, or the allotment, preferably with a bit of shade if the heat continues this week.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 16:03 »
Leeks really do not need to be in a conservatory/greenhouse, gradually hardened them off and then put the container out in the garden, or the allotment, preferably with a bit of shade if the heat continues this week.
Thanks Lesley. Although the conservatory is warm in the day it's very cool at night, is this 'hardened off' enough or do they need to get outdoors/indoors etc etc?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 16:09 »
Try outside during the day/inside at night for a few days then leave them out - just make sure that the first night they are left out is not due to be a frosty one :ohmy:

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 16:10 »
I've never got mine to finger thickness, more like biro refill thickness, and they still thrive.

Keep a few back for any failures, and just leave them in a clump in the ground, they still grow a little, and can be used as normal - but small normal!

I also tried to transplant some of them when they were very small, and quite honestly, I cannot notice any difference in size, length etc.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 16:49 »
I plonk mine in with a dibber at grass thickness...they are always ok for me.

If I waited until pencil thickness Id probably be planting out in September!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 16:51 »
ah the elusive pencil thickness, let alone finger thickness. Mine only ever get to a few mm thick and that's it before planting out and that annual "oh my word, everyone else has planted theirs out, I had better do mine too asap otherwise I will be too late..." feeling takes over! :)

In terms of thinning, I do that when I am ready to transplant: I gently lift a "clump" from the vessel in which they grow (currently an old kitchen bin!) and work them apart carefully but with a bit of "oomph" if necessary and if too tangled. They do come apart, though, and even if the odd root falls off (and some will) they should still grow,
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 16:53 by Jonajo »
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 17:40 »
ah the elusive pencil thickness, let alone finger thickness. Mine only ever get to a few mm thick and that's it before planting out and that annual "oh my word, everyone else has planted theirs out, I had better do mine too asap otherwise I will be too late..." feeling takes over! :)

In terms of thinning, I do that when I am ready to transplant: I gently lift a "clump" from the vessel in which they grow (currently an old kitchen bin!) and work them apart carefully but with a bit of "oomph" if necessary and if too tangled. They do come apart, though, and even if the odd root falls off (and some will) they should still grow,

Put the clump of leeks in a bucket of water for 10mins then give them a shake in the water, this washes the compost out and helps the roots separate .

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 18:18 »
Do i need to thin them out (i just 'broadcast' by hand) and now i have 40/50 seedlings per 8" pot.
I've always done them like that (sown fairly thickly, in not-very-big-pots) in the past. They are pathetic when dibbed-out (defintely "drinking straw" or "biro refill" and not "pencil thick"), but are fine by harvest time (unless you are looking for Leeks as thick as your arm!)

If you have a small plot there may be some mileage in growing thicker Leeks as space will be a premium. I grow about 100 Leeks, and they don't take up a lot of room - 6" apart and 4 rows across my 4' raised bed.

This year I have sown them in a polystyrene tray (DD uses Cat Litter trays, there is a famous thread :) with pictures). I hand-placed each seed about an inch apart each way, and I will be interested to see if I get Pencil-thickness for planting out this time :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 18:21 by Kristen »

TheSpartacat

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 22:00 »
I have never, ever, ever seen leeks at pencil thickness at the dibbing in stage.... are you sure its not "as thick as a pencil line", coz thats about closer to what seems normal to me :-)

EDIT:
I've just looked at DDs cat litter thread... are those real??? :-)
When on earth do you start them off?
Ok, i'll change my thoughts to "I have never ever ever seen leeks at pencil thickness at dibbing stage, in the leeky flesh"
That do?  :D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 22:04 by TheSpartacat »

xx
Thinning leek seedlings (sorry another leek question)

Started by LivvyW on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 07:21
by DD.
xx
Thinning Brassica seedlings

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2017, 18:12
by victoria park
xx
beetroot seedlings and thinning

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 20:35
by graces-chickens
xx
Thinning carrots seedlings

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 11, 2018, 08:37
by Salmo

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.