I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?

• 39 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: I'm choosing next year's tomato varieties. Any suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2023, 13:09 »
Good news, I have had good germination on all of the tomato seeds that I purchased.  Some varieties (Stupice, Marmande) chitted slowly, but germinated well.  Purple Ukraine and Hawaiian Pineapple chitted very quickly; all seeds of Purple Ukraine chitted within two days!  I also chitted some Biquinho peppers, and all of the seeds I tried, except one, also chitted within 3 days.

Whatever problems Reimer Seeds had before, the "New Management" may have solved them.  I will likely leave a positive comment on the Better Business Bureau website to improve their reputation.

Added later: Sadly, BBB does not take positive comments, only complaints.  Maybe I will leave a review elsewhere.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 15:09 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

missmoneypenny

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2023, 15:29 »
That’s good news. It was Trustpilot I looked at and which had all the negative reviews.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2023, 18:37 »
That’s good news. It was Trustpilot I looked at and which had all the negative reviews.

Thank you, I just posted a review on Trustpilot https://www.trustpilot.com/review/reimerseeds.com. I appreciated your initial comment about their complaint history. I also feel it is a good thing to publicly recognize that they have implemented some better business practices.

missmoneypenny

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2023, 17:52 »
How are your seedlings doing Subversive? After discovering Ferline has been discontinued  >:( , I went to Real Seeds and bought: Stupice, Costolutto Genovese, Estate and Dr Carolyn. So far have only planted the Costolutto and 5 out of 7 seeds have germinated,  #exciting.

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2023, 20:45 »
I like sweet millions nice sweet cherry beefsteak costoloto Florentino

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2023, 02:59 »
How are your seedlings doing Subversive? After discovering Ferline has been discontinued  >:( , I went to Real Seeds and bought: Stupice, Costolutto Genovese, Estate and Dr Carolyn. So far have only planted the Costolutto and 5 out of 7 seeds have germinated,  #exciting.

I'm happy to report that all of the tomato varieties from Reimer Seeds(Stupice, Marmande, 42-Day, Hawaiian Pineapple, Purple Ukrainian (=Purple Russian), Goliath Bush) have germinated, roughly 90% germination rate.  Other seeds that I purchased from Reimer and have tried (Biquinho peppers, French corn salad, Pak Choi, Michihli Chinese Cabbage) have also germinated well. 

Updated the post with a photo.

I'm just now chitting some of the tomato seeds my sister sent to me (Coeur de Boeuf, Gargamel, Abe Lincoln). I'm just trying to get one of each for now, to save some of my own seeds.  I have at least one of each variety so far.

Real Seeds looks like a good vendor for heirloom choices. They have some varieties  that were recommended to me earlier in this thread, but that are unavailable in the USA.
20230302_045650.jpg
« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 10:00 by Subversive_plot »

missmoneypenny

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 22:03 »
They’re looking great. It’s going to be Tomato-tastic down your way in a few months.

omits

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2023, 16:46 »
Given that I'm looking for (1) a small / early tomato, and (2) a beefsteak/slicing tomato, does anyone have any suggestions?

So what did you choose for this year? Interested because I've seen these Black seeds mentioned in Gardeners World yesterday. Thanks.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2023, 04:16 »
They’re looking great. It’s going to be Tomato-tastic down your way in a few months.

Thanks - BTW, I'm not growing all of those plants to maturity myself!  I will pick the best one or two of each variety, and grow those on, but will share the remaining plants with friends and family.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 18:37 »
Given that I'm looking for (1) a small / early tomato, and (2) a beefsteak/slicing tomato, does anyone have any suggestions?

So what did you choose for this year? Interested because I've seen these Black seeds mentioned in Gardeners World yesterday. Thanks.

Hello omits

See my post from January 9.  It lists the varieties that I started in February.  My sister sent me some additional seeds of Coeur de Boeuf, Gargamel, and Abe Lincoln, the seeds germinated recently.  This year will be a trial (just a few plants each) to see which varieties I like and will grow again in future years.

xx
Choosing potato varieties is so difficult

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 12, 2019, 15:33
by Aidy
xx
Suggestions on varieties of raspberries

Started by diggerjoe on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 24, 2008, 18:50
by beansticks
xx
Choosing potatoes for next year: blight

Started by Kirpi on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2012, 06:29
by arugula
xx
Anybody any suggestions as to what this Tomato is?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 07, 2013, 17:24
by Headgardener22

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 48 queries.