Ive lost my Figs

• 3 Replies

nemie

Ive lost my Figs
« on: June 02, 2010, 15:26 »
I have two fig tree in my garden both had figs on until today I noticed my brown turkey no longer has any,  :ohmy: this plant is quite low to the ground while the other is more of a twig so could it be slugs/snails or birds anyone?  :mad:

This is the one that lost the figs as you see it sits low.

This one untouched also does anyone know the name of this fig tree?

« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 15:28 by nemie »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Ive lost my Figs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 19:16 »
Do you have a fox that visits your garden?  My mum had a fig in a pot for years and every year the fruit would disappear.............then she spotted Mr Fox helping himself.

I've also had customers in complaining their dogs will strip unripe figs as soon as they get big enough to be noticed. 

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 19:20 »
I'd agree as the only normal pests a fig tree has is scale and doesn't have the power to run off with fruit.

One thing to watch with figs is don't over do the fertilizing. Excess nitrogen can keep fruit from developing properly or even forming at all. Feed them if the branches grew less than a foot the season before. And above all, give the tree a nice helping of lime and water it in. Figs love lime and will set some nice fruit buds for next year, which I assume you'll cage in  :D

nemie

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 20:34 »
We get regular visits from fox, hedgehogs and frogs, from time to time we get a badger, I do have a patter dale dog of which is getting bad looks as I type after reading the replies, the other thing a pigeon has made a nest about 10 feet from the plants and as the brown turkey figs were low and not very big just a maybe the pigeon had them as she is always in that area.

I have given them fish blood and seaweed and some tomrite so I think I should wait few months before adding lime, thank you both for the tips and information.

xx
figs

Started by Brett on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 30, 2018, 11:55
by simbamara
xx
Anyone know anything about Figs???

Started by lina on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 22:17
by tode
xx
figs

Started by kingston boy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 21:38
by SUTTY1
xx
Figs

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 21, 2006, 18:52
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 36 queries.