Strawberries

• 9 Replies

Graham Turner

Strawberries
« on: November 18, 2010, 19:14 »
What is the minimum distance that you can get away with when creating a new strawberry bed from an existing one?  All the books, advice, etc. say to do this to minimise the risk of building up desease in the plants.

JohnB47

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 13:57 »
I'm no expert but since nobody else has replied - here goes.

To my mind, it simply a case of making sure that the new plants are on new soil, so if you are strapped for space, I think it should be OK to move all the plants to a new postition so that there is at least one foot between any new plant and the spot where an old one grew.

I hope that makes sence.

In my case, I've left the two small rows of last years strawbs in place and have added a new row of runners parallel to them and a foot away from the nearest row.

I haven't got space for anything more drastic.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 16:18 »
I have read on here, and also mentioned previously, that strawbs don't like being moved - and I found it so - but it just may apply to those in their last year. I would say about 12-15" apart into a bed with replenished soil and not where the roots of the last ones were as has just been said here. Cut the leaves off after fruiting so the new ones grow and the old ones don't get diseased.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 19:32 »
 Also watch  out for a late frost next year the one we had this year in May caught me by surprise and killed all 30 of my stawb plants.

m1ckz

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 06:51 »
if your short on space, why not use the milk bottle way,im doing just that with my new runners, looks good too

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 10:43 »
if your short on space, why not use the milk bottle way,im doing just that with my new runners, looks good too

I thought strawberry plants were hardy. I have been told i am ok to plant my strawberry plants now. And there will be plenty of frost and snow over the coming months???
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 11:41 »
My Strawberry's in a hanging basket are fruiting now with healthy berries inside my tattered old plastic greenhouse. If I leave them there will they still ripen or should I pick them un-ripe and bring them in the house to ripen ? (sorry to go a little off topic) :)

stompy

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 10:53 »
I had a dedicated strawbery bed on my old plot.
Each time i replaced the plants (usually with home grown runners) i used to dig the small raised bed out and put the soil on one of my other main veg raised beds and replace the soil in the strawbery from that same raised bed, if you know what i mean.
I never had any problems.

rowlandwells

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 15:25 »
i would say your basically  correct goosegirl in what your saying the only thing i would add is that when i set my strawberries they took a bit of keeping clean i did see what i thought was a good idea was to plant out ones strawberry plants in poly sheeting  :)

this should keep the weeds at bay but i think its still a good idea to put straw round the plants to keep the fruits of the poly sheeting i have built a frame round the strawberry bed so i can put the plastic net over to keep the birds off  :tongue2:

i hope this is of some use to you  ;)

Graham Turner

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 16:00 »
Thanks everyone for advise. Have found enough room to transplant a new strawberry row about 20" from the old bed and will be able to do this again in another 3-4 years.
cheers
Graham :D

xx
Strawberries

Started by 1st time veg grower on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 02, 2008, 00:54
by sclarke624
xx
strawberries

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 17, 2021, 09:57
by mumofstig
xx
strawberries

Started by bert on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 12:51
by yummy
xx
Strawberries.

Started by ecky on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 17:59
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 29 queries.