Fruit trees

• 6 Replies

Redgoat

Fruit trees
« on: September 26, 2012, 19:03 »
My parents have decided due to age to cut down the size of the veg patch to a third of what it was.

It's still going to be around 10m x 10m.

However, we've decided to use the remaining area to plant more  fruit trees. They already have 2 apple and 2 plum in other parts which are doing well.

The location is in North Wales at an altitude of 900ft and generally south east facing.

Any suggestions what else we can put in would be appreciated?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 19:21 »

Pears - Doyenne du Comice and Concorde.  easy peasy.   ::)

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 08:43 »
I bought a 5 pack of trees from gardening express last year - via groupon so got them for 30bucks.  It consisted of a Concorde Pear, Stella Compact Cherry, Stanley Plum and  Gala & Golden Delicious Apple trees. They've all grown well over the summer, potted on the patio, and i can't wait to see what fruits I get in the coming years. Chances are they'll do the same deal this winter so keep an eye on groupon if your interested.

Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

Kieronl

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 09:43 »
Have fun with your fruit trees, I love my Stella cherry but do make sure its on a dwarfing root stock mine is over 30ft and I have to prune it every year just to keep it in check.  (I did make the mistake of not buying mine from a good nursery)   :(

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 10:12 »
I'm waiting to see what turns up in Lidl  :D  the rabbits have put paid to a pear and an apple by eating the bark off when we had heavy snow which allowed them to graze all the way up the trunks  >:(  Tree guards have now been bought  :D

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:42 »
Very interesting topic. I'm also planning a few fruit trees on an area 10 metres x 10 metres. Not ideal as its shaded by trees to the south of it but gets good morning and late afternoon sun. The area was heavily blighted with potato blight this summer. I've dug out as many spuds as I can, raked it all level and covered it with weed-control fabric.

I plant to plant through the fabric and to leave it in place for a few years until the trees are well established

My question is when and what dessert apples, plums and pears to plant up here in wet, cool and windy North Cumbria? I'm still undecided. I went to a local nursery yesterday and was advised not to try and get the trees off to a good start now but to leave it until November when they have died off completely. This gives me more time to decide on varieties but I'd welcome any advice please

Redgoat

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 20:18 »
I think Cumbria and North Wales have pretty much the same climate ! :wacko:

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 36 queries.