Composting accelerants

• 13 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Composting accelerants
« on: September 25, 2012, 14:11 »
I refer to stuff like Garotta and the B&Q equivalent, Verve Compost Maker. Has anybody ever done trials of these products? How effective are they? Are they any better than sprinkling a handful of Growmore into the heap, or indeed as some old gardeners recommend, simply peeing onto the heap?

I've always just sprinkled general fertilizer onto the heap when I remembered but am I missing something here?

Trillium

Re: Composting accelerants
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 14:20 »
Accelerants usually contain microorganisms to kick start the composting process. However, a few spadefuls of soil, preferably from under a large tree (topsoil) will also do the trick quite well.

Here's a few more tips. LINK.

bigben

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 14:23 »
comfrey or nettle tea are the same price as the last suggestion you made but more time consuming to make! I suspect that getting the mix and water content of your compost heap correct will have more effect than just adding these products.

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 14:45 »
I use comfrey leaves generally speaking,  oh and when I am at the allotment,  lady water of course  :)

You don't need to buy Garotta or anything else from the shops.  If the mix is balanced and we have some warm weather your heap or bin will heat up nicely :)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 15:26 »
Balanced mix and warmth being the operative words of course

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 15:33 »
When I used to use Garotta I did get the impression that it speeded things up, but without doing a comparison test it's impossible to be sure.

I do find that chopping things up and also getting the mix right helps - the majority of my compost material is privet hedge clippings, and this year's bright idea was to chuck them on the lawn and then mow the lot with the rotary mower - the mixture is rotting down much quicker than when added separately and unchopped!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

dugless

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 16:39 »
I am foutunate Chicken poo works wonders.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 16:56 »
yes, I'm fortunate too. I have all the horse muck I can use, but I still use my two 1  x 1  x !.2 Metres compost bays and manage to fill and use both every year.  Mainly lawn cuttings, hedge clippings,autumn leaves, exhausted bedding-plants and so on. Prefer to use stuff this way rather than just filling green wheelie bin and donating it to the council every fortnight.

I find a bit of fresh horse muck into the bins acts as a good accelerant too

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 11:56 »
I love composting!  Sad I know  :lol:  I compost whatever I can get my hands on and refuse to give stuff away to the green bin  :)  I hate it when I see folks wheeling green bins off the plots, too lazy to make compost and their imperative a tidy plot rather than a productive one. Still, it takes all sorts  :nowink:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 13:28 »
A fellow obsessive, love it :D

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 14:39 »
I think a layer of lawn mowings makes a good accelerant, gets really hot, especially if they're wet. I also use horse manure and sometimes chicken pellets as accelerants. I've got 4 big wooden bins and 3 plastic daleks, but there's never enough space for everything. I use the wheelie bin to get rid of stuff I don't want to put on the compost bins, like blighted tomato plants or nasturtiums full of seeds, or stuff that just takes too long to rot down, like twigs and big tough root balls.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 22:36 »
Big tough root balls and cabbage stalks, thuggish stuff, goes in my pallet bin in the far corner of the plot, covered over and left to do its thing. I water and turn it a few times a year. It all goes down eventually

Willow_Warren

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2012, 11:25 »
Big tough root balls and cabbage stalks, thuggish stuff, goes in my pallet bin in the far corner of the plot, covered over and left to do its thing. I water and turn it a few times a year. It all goes down eventually

Interesting to read this thread as I've just started a pallet compost bin.  I've filled on pallet bin already (with things like rabbit bedding/chicken bedding/laws mowings/shredded hedge cuttings/some plants that have passed over and general kitchen waste).  I was wondering whether to get some dalek compost bins to go with the two wooden ones (it's one at the moment but might be two soon if I keep badgering the oh...).   Anyhoos... just thinking out loud!

Hannah :)

Steve_LF

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46 »
Well, I've done both now, first time covered and second time uncovered.  Out of the two I preferred uncovered.

The two main problems I had with covered were that the plastic sheeting needed a lot of weighting down (had problems with wind  :ohmy:)  and that I found the soil a little "dry" when I removed them in the spring.

Also my soil is a little claggy so I figured that letting the frost get at it was better.

But as all have said, each to their own.

xx
Compost accelerants

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 17:46
by allotmentann
xx
composting

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 22, 2006, 15:09
by tomato-joy
xx
composting

Started by Iain j on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 04, 2009, 18:21
by Ivor Backache
xx
Composting

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 11:47
by BabyStar

Page created in 0.324 seconds with 36 queries.