Home Made Wholegrain Mustard - Help!!

• 10 Replies

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
Home Made Wholegrain Mustard - Help!!
« on: July 15, 2012, 17:37 »
I've just made a batch of mustard, and have followed the recipe to the letter.  I've soaked the mustard seeds in the beer and vinegar mixture with cinnamon and nutmeg overnight, and then added the salt and runny honey before putting it all into the food processor.  

The recipe says that you shouldn't process it for too long if you like it grainy ... I've processed it several times for about two or three minutes each time, and I swear that every single grain of mustard is still whole!!!  We're now approaching 24 hours since I first put them into the beer to soak, so I don't want to leave them much longer ... can I cook them to soften them or what?  It almost seems as though there's even more liquid than there was before rather than less!!

Any ideas/advice gratefully accepted!!   :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 17:55 by cheshirecheese »

Trillium

Re: Home Made Wholegrain Mustard - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 21:56 »
I'm no expert in making mustard, but I always figured you needed to grind the seeds a bit first and then add the vinegar and whatevers. Sounds like your seeds are now too soft to grind, and there's perhaps too much liquidy stuff.

HERE is an interesting article, that includes a recipe, and this person also grinds the seeds first.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 23:01 »
haven't ever tried making myself so it's just a thought - could you crush some in a mortar and pestle?

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:11 »
Thanks for the link, Trillium - interesting that he suggests grinding the seeds before adding the liquid, as none of the five recipes in my various books mention that.  I also note that the recipe he offers uses mustard powder as well as the whole seeds, so that may be an idea to rescue my current batch.  At least I know now NOT to heat it!!  

I'm also going to try draining some of the liquid off and using a stick blender rather than the food processor and see whether that makes any difference.  If not, I'll have a go with the pestle and mortar as suggested by VegGirl, as it's the alternative method for blending given in my various recipe books.  

All this palava ... and it seemed like such a good idea at the time, as every single recipe I looked at (including Trillium's link) says how easy peasy it is!!    ???  
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 09:12 by cheshirecheese »

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:17 »

:D      :D   SUCCESS!!   :D    :D

I didn't do a lot - just added a tablespoon of mustard powder and used my stick blender, and hey presto I had mustard!!  In case anyone's interested, here's the recipe I used:

500g Mustard Seeds (I used 200g each of yellow and black, and 100g of brown)
500ml Beer
175ml Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp Salt
7 Tbsp Runny Honey
Herbs or spices to taste - I used 1 tbsp each of nutmeg and cinnamon and a teaspoon of chilli flakes

Combine mustard seeds, spices and beer in a bowl.  Leave for ten minutes or so before adding the cider vinegar.  Cover and leave to soak overnight (mine ended up being soaked for 36 hours)
Next day whilst sterilising jars, add the salt, mustard powder and honey to the mixture
Either whizz in a food processor or use a stick blender until the desired consistency is achieved
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary
Pack into sterilised jars, ensuring there are no air bubbles before sealing tightly
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 13:00 by cheshirecheese »

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 14:14 »
Glad it worked out for you.

I find with a number of recipes that writers tend to copy other writers' recipes whether or not they work just to have a recipe to offer. And naturally, any faults get repeated.

I've been looking at various online recipes for mustard hoping to start making some as well, but I did notice that almost all ground the seeds a bit first, depending on desired end product. I know when I add mustard seed to pickle recipes that you can't even notice the seed in the end product, which means it really softens and would be impossible to grind later in a mustard recipe.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 15:06 »
Glad it worked out for you.

I find with a number of recipes that writers tend to copy other writers' recipes whether or not they work just to have a recipe to offer. And naturally, any faults get repeated.

They certainly do and it really winds me up :mad:
Have tried several recipes that do not work and complained to the magazines that printed them.
Sometimes I get free copies of the magazines.

What really bugs me is that people with limited cooking experience end up thinking that they can't cook and puts them off doing any more.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 15:34 »
I did notice that almost all ground the seeds a bit first, depending on desired end product.

I'll definitely try this next time.  Using the stick blender worked well though, perhaps because the ingredients don't move and turn like they do in a food processor.  I used a jug with the stick blender, and because the contents weren't going anywhere/moving around they seemed to break down better.  The addition of the mustard powder also helped.  So, now I know what I'm doing, I'll definitely make it again!

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 15:48 »
We always make wholegrain mustard - now family and friends have tried it,  I struggle to keep up with the demand!  :ohmy:  A stick blender is definately the way to go,  I think you are right about the seeds moving around too much in a food processor!

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 13:45 »
Do you have a favourite recipe, Alimilly?  :)

alimilly

• Life and Love of the Millys
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 01:16 »
I do have a favourite - tried and tested recipe!

200g yellow mustard seeds
200g black mustard seeds
6 fl oz cider vinegar
500ml any beer
1 tablespoon sea salt
6 tablespoons runny honey
1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg

Mix together the two types of mustard seeds in the large bowl, pour over beer of choice (hubby's homemade works well!)  and leave to soak at least overnight to soak up all of the beer.

Add the salt then vinegar,  then the honey and finally the grated nutmeg,  blend with a stick blender until you are happy with the texture and pop into your sterilised jars.   I'm told it should keep for 6 months - ours never lasts as long as that!

I hope that helps   :)

xx
Home-made Mustard

Started by Pescador on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post June 06, 2018, 13:01
by New shoot
xx
home made piccalili.

Started by Brassica Blaz on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 20:34
by wighty
xx
Home made bread

Started by Scribbler on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

31 Replies
Last post October 31, 2007, 02:54
by Trillium
xx
Home made Chilli

Started by Armleywhite on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post July 23, 2013, 13:43
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 38 queries.