Espalier - without a wall...

• 10 Replies

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Espalier - without a wall...
« on: November 09, 2010, 21:36 »
Is it possible to set up an espalier row of fruit trees without a wall to pin them against?  My theory is to drive stakes either side of each tree and string wire between, then train branches along the wire.  I hope the trees could reach around my height, 6ft(ish) but I'm not sure if without a wall to lean against the wind of North Wales may take its toll...

Answers on a postcard please!

Also, has any one got any recommendations on varieties to use for this?  I'd like to grow Apples, Pears, Peaches, Plums and something else in 5 rows...

A. Fallowfield

Re: Espalier - without a wall...
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 21:44 »
I did a sort of espalier for kiwi fruit, but they've not done very well!

I intended to go higher as they grew! :wacko:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 21:51 »
I know you can do apples that way :) Pears peaches are more delicate and may need a wall in your climate.
I think I read somewhere that plums are too vigourous for this kind of training :unsure:

yes found it
they don’t make productive cordons or espaliers

from the RHS page here

Swing Swang

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 22:04 »
Maybe 'leg apples' would be more suitable. There was an article about these in 'The Garden' a few years ago which can be found on the Blackmoor website:

http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php?cPath=404

The pdf download on the page above is a copy of the RHS article and should explain all.

SS

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 22:09 »
They did standalone fan-trained fruit trees on G World a couple of weeks ago, and Alan Titchmarsh's new programme this evening (Tuesday) dealt with how to do step-over apples, about 2' from the ground.

You'll be able to get the latter on iPlayer, not sure whether the former will still be on there.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 22:42 »
I have a couple of free-standing espaliers as you described. They must be about 8 years old now. They've stood up ok although in a fairly sheltered position.

Make sure you brace the posts to stop them leaning inwards when you tension the wires.

savbo

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 08:14 »
at 8.30 Titchmarsh is espaliering apples...at 9.30 N.WalesIdealist feels the urge to post about them...vibrations are in the air...
 :)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 09:23 »
Even small trees need good staking. One of my Lidl apples has got a serious list and it's still only about 4 foot tall, and I thought it was well supported.  The wind, combined with the weight of the apples, has caused it to bend right over, and now I have to try and pull it back.  So make it strong  :D 

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 19:00 »
at 8.30 Titchmarsh is espaliering apples...at 9.30 N.WalesIdealist feels the urge to post about them...vibrations are in the air...
 :)

I have to admit, Titchmarsh did my imagination going, though being rather more vertical than Alan "no taller than a thumb" Titchmarsh I didn't much fancy stooping down to collect my crop!

So espaliered apples seems like a good plan, however the others not so much.  Has one got an opinions on the pears?  The climate is a little chilly, any recommendations for varieties?

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 20:37 »
Check out Keepers Nursery web site loads of advice and if you input staff like location/ aspect/climate it will give you a list of suitable varieties and also pollination companions.

If you are growing any kind of trained apple trees you will need a spur bearing variety and for stone fruits you will need to train as a fan

Junie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 20:50 »
Carol Klein shows how to do step overs in her "How to grow fruit" book and gives recommendations of varieties etc.
Well worth buying, or borrowing from the library!

xx
espalier training

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 15:18
by gillie
clip
Peach espalier

Started by timdunn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 20, 2014, 09:29
by adri123
xx
Espalier cherry

Started by dugless on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 22, 2011, 16:23
by aqua
xx
growing a fig espalier?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 11:23
by Grubbypaws

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 40 queries.