Chilly one tonight!

• 23 Replies

Nobbie

Chilly one tonight!
« on: April 30, 2018, 08:56 »
Just noticed temps down to 2 degrees round here tonight :(, think I'll be digging out my little paraffin heater just to take the chill off as don't want the tender stuff suffering a check. Anyone got frost forecast?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chilly one tonight!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 09:05 »
Not sure about an actual frost, because it is supposed to be cloudy - but we are forecast 3C tonight :(
As the forecast was for only 5C all day today, I bought everything I could move indoors yesterday evening  ::)

Christine

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 15:42 »
Yeah all my tender stuff is in the kitchen. No room for cooking but at least the courgettes/aubergines/pattypan are warm.  :D

Notty1975

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 16:47 »
Yep just popped in the allotment on way home from work and turned my heater back on

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 17:19 »
Dropped down to -1C in my polytunnel last night but tomatoes seem to have survived OK

Notty1975

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 17:50 »
Dropped down to -1C in my polytunnel last night but tomatoes seem to have survived OK

That is cold it’s May 1st tomorrow where’s the warm lol how long would the toms survive at that temp I was panicking where my thermometer showed it went down to 7.3c last night

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2018, 18:00 »
They'll go blue if they get that cold for longer than a few hours, once they look blue/purple they don't usually recover/grow very well, even if temperatures then warm up :(

Pescador

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 18:17 »
3C this morning with a cold gusting wind, (but down to -2 in mid Wales!). This afternoon it was up to 15C but still breezy. Cold night again tonight.
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 18:40 »
I'm glad that most of my stuff is behind and that there's nothing in the greenhouse. What's outside is the hardy stuff and will have to take its chances. I shall find the damage to the seedlings when I go up to the allotment tomorrow. With the season as it's been up here things are well confused anyway what with a heatwave just before Easter and then snow.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 18:43 »
They'll go blue if they get that cold for longer than a few hours, once they look blue/purple they don't usually recover/grow very well, even if temperatures then warm up :(
I suppose they may still turn blue and expire but I'm hoping that as the nights are much shorter and hence the time they're exposed to such low temperatures is quite short that they'll survive. I suppose another factor is that the pots heat up during the day and retain some of that heat over night. We'll see!

victoria park

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 19:26 »
Yes, there's a lot of residual heat in their little souls, as long as the cold temps don't last for too many hours. The headline low is often just for an hour or so. Double insulation for then little ones, just a bit of fleece in the greenhouse for the more mature ones. It's the hardening off outside that can do more damage if not done properly.
I don't include cucumbers in any of the above LOL
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 19:31 by victoria park »

al78

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 09:03 »
It is springs like this one that make me glad I don't try and grow the delicate stuff that isn't up to the fickle UK climate (except French beans but they the easier of the delicates).

Grubbypaws

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 09:41 »
Just noticed temps down to 2 degrees round here tonight :(, think I'll be digging out my little paraffin heater just to take the chill off as don't want the tender stuff suffering a check. Anyone got frost forecast?
Woke to a frost here. Thank you Nobbie. After reading your post I made sure to cover my potatoes last night and all is well  :D

Stewarty

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 23:41 »
I put fleece over the tender things in my greenhouses at lottie and at home in the garden, and all seem fine. but i had 18 Charlotte potatoes showing through, and they all seem to have been singed, alas...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 00:04 »
The tunnel alledgedly dipped to 0.2c last night but none of the seedlings look poor for it even the wimpy cucumbers. Erred on the side of caution though tonight and double fleeced my first earlies which are really showing well now.

xx
now that's chilly...

Started by savbo on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 14, 2010, 21:09
by wighty
xx
Huh-oh! Chilly Chillies!

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 13:19
by Aidy
xx
Chilly toms?

Started by jerrynl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 15, 2015, 10:22
by Goosegirl
xx
chilly peppers

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 26, 2006, 22:54
by Oliver

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 52 queries.