Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

• 2 Replies

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
How would I take cuttings and what should I use to make them grow fast? I love blueberries and havent had gooseberries since I was very young so wouldnt mind them for my allotment, (I call it my garden). Even though it's about a mile away from my house which is a mare as I only have a bicycle lol. Hope someone can help.....Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 17:05 »
Ambitious, aren't you?  :lol:  The gooseberries could come from layering, where a slight nick in a lower lateral branch is pushed into the ground and a stone to hold it down. By fall you should have a rooted plant. It's the easiest way to go in MHO. Never tried to do blueberries, but you could do spring cuttings of new growth, dip the tip in rooting powder then into damp compost or sand and keep it covered with a freezer baggy.
But be aware that blueberries need VERY acid soil to grow, not just a little bit acid, so be prepared to add lots of sulphur powder, evergreen needles, etc to acidify the soill. And, the soil should be almost boggy or the blueberries just won't show up.

As for speeding up the cuttings, there's really no way to hurry nature when taking freebies. If the cuttings are a new idea to you, check your library for how-to gardening books. There are loads around.

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 22:07 »
Thanks, very helpfull. Blueberries are a good anti cancer food so I want it. They are in the super food list, along with lots more of the things I would like to grow... Goosegerries were a childhood thing so I want a couple of those too.

xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B
xx
How many Blueberry bushes?

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 18:26
by Fisherman
xx
Blueberry bushes

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 01, 2011, 22:16
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 35 queries.