Tumbling Tom hybrid f1?

• 6 Replies

cc

Tumbling Tom hybrid f1?
« on: May 23, 2019, 13:20 »
Not sure if I used the seeds from the tomatoes in previous years. The one's i am growing are not looking happy from toms grown last year. Had to buy some seeds from Wilkos only 10 in the packet but says nothing on the packet about them being f1. I have a 20 foot shelf of sorts in the garden and loads of planters. Full sun perfect but tumblers are going to be a little late maybe very late. Anyone know where I can buy over the net part grown tumblers at reasonable price? Thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Tumbling Tom hybrid f1?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 21:24 »
I don't think they are F1 - I've looked at two different seed merchants and neither indicates F1.

Have you searched your local garden centre?  I bought my tumbling tom plants there.  I think you're likely to end up paying quite a lot for plants e.g. T&M was £4.99 (plus p&p, presumably) for a single plant in a 8.5 cm pot, or (7.99 for 3 jumbo plugs, or 8.99 for 3 x 8.5cm pots).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 10:45 »
I would definitely go to a local garden centre and not expect to pay more than £3 max for a plant. (Some sell tomato plants at 99p)

Tumbling Toms - we have a few on the go in hanging baskets in a greenhouse and in tubs here and there. One packet of seed did the job (I thought they were F1 but could be wrong... packet gone so cant check).

Either way just get something growing and try again for a specific variety next year.

(Shame you are not near my neck of the woods - my very local nursey had trays full of pots of Tumbling Tom last week-end... pretty cheap too if I remember rightly).
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 12:33 »
 Hi I grew Tumbling Tom from seed this year they were Sarah Raven, packet doesn’t say F1, sow by 2018 so I’ve had them a few years, probably bought from Wyevale in their end of season  sale a few years ago. Not sure how many I sowed but I’ve got 4 nice plants & no seed left. They might have been in a multi pack as I’ve yellow tumbling tom same packet by the looks of it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

cc

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 22:25 »
The pack of 12 seeds are doing very well catching up quickly with the ones I grew from my own seeds. Can't work out what could have gone wrong with my own seeds.
No where me has tumbling toms but did manage get a similar plant (can't remember name) the aren't rushing either.
Such is.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 23:34 »
...No where me has tumbling toms but did manage get a similar plant (can't remember name) the aren't rushing either.
Such is.
Any chance of translating that into English :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 16:23 »
The pack of 12 seeds are doing very well catching up quickly with the ones I grew from my own seeds. Can't work out what could have gone wrong with my own seeds.
No where me has tumbling toms but did manage get a similar plant (can't remember name) the aren't rushing either.
Such is.

I go the gist of that ;)

Your own seeds did not germinate but the others you have since sown have grown speedily.
There is no sign of the tumbling tom seeds but you did manage to get a similar plant (one you bought) and it is growing well enough.

So... although your own seeds didn't germinate a new lot did and you also have a plant that you got from somewhere else :)

Here's wishing you luck with whatever you can manage to grow.

xx
tumbling tom red on the way to the bin....

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 03, 2011, 22:39
by Carollan
xx
tumbling tom

Started by Y.E.A.H on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 20:32
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Tumbling Toms

Started by SPUDMIESTER on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 01, 2010, 12:04
by viettaclark
xx
Tumbling Toms

Started by mikegm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 09:29
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 42 queries.