Blueberry bushes (purchase of)

• 10 Replies

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Blueberry bushes (purchase of)
« on: May 23, 2019, 14:15 »
I have been growing a bed ready for three new blueberrry bushes that I was planning to chuck in come late autumn.
I have now grown the acidity level to where the plants would love to reside and spend the rest of their days enjoying our tropical weather.
Now then... I was in a DIY shop last night, sounds a bit like BBQ and they had 3 for a tenner  ??? they all looked in very good health, I was a little suprised and started to think as the bed is ready shall take the gamble.

Has anyone bought these plants from said shop and how did they fair, I have seen some good remarks on the odd forum and as yet not read any negativity.
Remarks would be very welcome.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 14:15 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

erikaz1

Re: Blueberry bushes (purchase of)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 19:32 »
The vast majority of my soft fruit bushes came from B&Q. I was sent to go and buy a bag of screws for some long-forgotten DIY project but came home with a van stuffed full of plants. They were selling them all off for £1 each and I couldn't decide who to leave behind so I promised them all a home. The blueberries have come on  amazingly well considering my lack of soil preparation and lack of weeding. I gave them a good load of ericacious compost and have left them to it for the last few years. I've just been up and strimmed round the area and am honestly amazed how well things are doing after last year's drought. I lost a couple of currant bushes but the blueberries seem quite happy.

Good luck!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 22:14 »
Oo that is very cheap. Id buy them and sling them into large tubs with the ericacious compost and see how they did. If they thrived, then Id get them in the ground.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 22:38 »
As it happened I went back last Saturday and bought three, they have been in the bed since Sunday and look very happy at the moment.
Cheers for the replies.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 02:15 »
Aidy I would have bought them too... at that price you can't go wrong. I am guessing they are pretty tiny plants so the only disadvantage might be is they will have to grow on.

You can buy named varieties from mail order nurseries but the prices are often much much higher... My daughter bought one years ago - it was a huge success and crops well. Due to the success she next bought a pink fruited variety (for some reason) and that too crops wonderfully well. All in all "we" now have three pretty big bushy plants that provide us with a good supply of very succulent fruit. They are certainly worth growing.

"Ours" (as my daughter has left them with us but shares the fruit) are in huge tubs on a very warm patio along side of a wall. The wall acts like a radiator and keeps them pretty warm. In winter's worst cold snaps we cover them with fleece and do the same again when spring frosts are expected to protect the blossom and developing fruit.

I presume ours are in ericaceous soil / compost mix. (My wife does that bit) Every other year they are taken out of the tubs, the roots trimmed a little and checked for vine weevil (so far free) and then the tubs are topped up with compost and a little fertilizer. I do the watering (they take a fair bit and are never allowed to dry out).

I wish you luck with yours - a great fruit bush to have - once yours are big enough they hopefully will crop well.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 11:34 »
They were all around 18 inches with plenty of active branches etc, I was so suprised at the cost!

Mine have been planted in ericaceous compost in a planting hole but I have treated the soil to bring the acidity down, will mulch with pine needles too soo.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 21:55 »
Amazinng cost Aidy!  Well done that man!

All you need now is an acre of steel elctrified netting to keep out the birds, and you're quids in!

Really, that is a great deal you have, and I hope all goes well, especially with the feeding, which I'm looking at as we speak, as I'm also trying to arrange the nets and not getting very far...

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 18:50 »
I'd've done it too!
 :lol: :lol:
I don't even have a bed ready, but there's loads of horse poo in the pile, so that'd do!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 19:36 »
I'd've done it too!
 :lol: :lol:
I don't even have a bed ready, but there's loads of horse poo in the pile, so that'd do!
NOOOOO what ever you do dont plant in that, they need acidic soil.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 21:23 »
Ericaceous stuff is a Must with blues!

Nets as well, and in the end, well, Waitrose sell them at a cost...

Paul Plots

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 17:11 »
Blue berries in big pots - no problem - we just keep them watered...

Two types - a pink one and the traditional - both give a good crop.

(one photo only as the other files sizes were too large... apparently)
20190610_183539.jpg

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2015, 10:23
by chrissie B
xx
How many Blueberry bushes?

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 06, 2014, 18:26
by Fisherman
question
blueberry bushes

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2012, 19:38
by allotment south wales

Page created in 0.428 seconds with 49 queries.