blueberry bushes

• 11 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
blueberry bushes
« on: July 17, 2015, 18:29 »
i've had these 3 years now and they are not growing much above 2 feet and the berries are on the small side. they are in large pots so not worried about container size, but, having bought them from a well known bargain store i am beginning to suspect they are in fact Wimberries or Winberries or whatever your local area calls them. could they be unwittingly selling bog standard mountain plants and not blueberries?

Ema

Re: blueberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 10:22 »
I can't remember the variety name of the blue berry I picked up from bm home bargains. Had a few fruits from it this year they were tiny under 5mm round.

Headgardener22

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 23:41 »
My blueberries have no fruit this year. Last year they were heavy with fruit but this year the flowers set but nothing has grown. I assume its the weather.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:57 »
i have looked at pictures of blueberry bushes and wimberry's and i am convinced that the plants i bought in B&M are in fact wimberry, they shall be composted forthwith  :mad:

ghost61

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 13:18 »
Aldi will have some blueberry bushes for sale on Thursday.  I bought two last year and they have fruited well this year.  I'm definitely going to get some more!

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 20:15 »
Aldi will have some blueberry bushes for sale on Thursday.  I bought two last year and they have fruited well this year.  I'm definitely going to get some more!

will do cheers

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 09:24 »

have bought 6, thanks for the heads up  ;)

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 12:35 »
They may be small, but they seem to put on quite a bit of growth quickly.  Enjoy!

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 12:05 »
Are they potted in ericaceous compost and fed ericaceous feed? If not try repotting in the correct compost and see what happens. My first attempt at blueberries was a disaster, now are doing much better.

I have even planted some in my allotment and given them a mulch of pine needles each year which seems to be working as well as ericaceous feed.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 14:19 »
Are they potted in ericaceous compost and fed ericaceous feed? If not try repotting in the correct compost and see what happens. My first attempt at blueberries was a disaster, now are doing much better.

I have even planted some in my allotment and given them a mulch of pine needles each year which seems to be working as well as ericaceous feed.

planted in ericaceous and watered with rainwater. the blueberry plants i have just bought are much different. B&M were basically selling twigs which then leaved up through the summer. i definitely bought wimberrys these  plants are entirely different

Debz

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 15:42 »
2 of my three plants have always had small berries but I don't remember where they came from.  Doesn't stop the kids picking them bare.  They love them.  The other bush has much bigger berries and bigger leaves.  It is always a later fruiting plant and in fact the berries are still green at the moment.

chrissie B

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23 »
Ive had mine in 3 yea4s now and havent had enough to decorate a mini cheesecack .
 Hrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

xx
Hi I'm gonna get some blueberry bushes and gooseberry bushes

Started by Gardening Mark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:07
by Gardening Mark
xx
blueberry bushes

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 00:42
by Trillium
xx
£1 blueberry bushes

Started by aelf on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 10:05
by aelf
xx
Blueberry Bushes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2019, 14:46
by Nikkithefoot

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 35 queries.