ARRGGHH MOSS!!!!

• 32 Replies

Jackypam

Re: ARRGGHH MOSS!!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 21:37 »
A bit confused.  Is moss dead because you raked it out of the lawn and buried it in a compost heap, or do you need to kill it with chemicals or perhaps dry it out in a wheelbarrow or something?     

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 12:37 »
A bit confused.  Is moss dead because you raked it out of the lawn and buried it in a compost heap, or do you need to kill it with chemicals or perhaps dry it out in a wheelbarrow or something?   

I would say that unless you have previously killed the moss it shouldn't be composted.

If you rake "live" moss & then chuck it on the compost heap I guess you're asking for trouble.

As Headgardner said, the RHS says it's ok but only under fairly rigid conditions......one of these being that the moss is dead before adding to the compost heap........I'm no expert though as many on here will testify  :(  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 13:24 »
A few years ago I borrowed an electric scarifier and got the usual astonishing amount of moss out of my lawn - it wasn't dead because I have a pond at the edge of the lawn and didn't want to risk using herbicides near it.

After one year in the dalek it was still green and more or less intact  :ohmy: - I hoiked half of it out and buried it in the bean trench, and mixed the remainder in with the other compostables. Another year later there were no visible signs of it in either location.

Personally, I wouldn't worry unduly about live moss 'infecting' neighbouring areas - it will only grow where conditions suit it, and where such conditions do exist it will grow without your 'help' anyway!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
moss

Started by Fairy Plotmother on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post March 01, 2014, 17:12
by fatcat1955
xx
Moss

Started by rich24uk on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 08:10
by Aunt Sally
xx
Get rid of moss

Started by amiman on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2020, 19:57
by jezza
xx
Moss

Started by visionwf on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 12, 2009, 23:35
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 30 queries.