Moulting?

• 2 Replies

Nickchick

Moulting?
« on: August 30, 2009, 19:21 »
Hi there, I understand that my 3 ex-batts are going to moult.  Do all chucks across the land do it at the same time ie with the seasons?  How will I know when it happens?  Will they go bald? Do i need to give them anything to help them through it?

Thanks

chickenlady

• Happychooks Blog
Re: Moulting?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 19:41 »
Hello! i think all chooks are different! some will drop loads of feathers and look a bit bald for a while, others will just shed a few at a time and will replace them before any bald bits become noticable! i have 6 hybrids going into their 1st moult season and so far only my bluebelle Attila the hen has feathers all over the run but she has no bald bits yet!?

Giving poultry spice and extra protein (fish flavoured cat food) during their moult can help them to feather up quicker!
Debbie
thinks her guardian angel`s gone on strike !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother-Hen

• Experienced Member
Re: Moulting?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 19:50 »
Hi,  my ex batts all seem to moult in the autumn just when it's getting cold and dark :(. and they seem to go quite patchy baldy - feel like putting woolie jumpers on them !! When you see feathers everywhere and they go off laying their in moult and in our house it's countdown time to when we get fresh eggs again. Thanks for the tip about cat food will try this during their next moult.
Sometimes you have to accept that somedays you are the pigeon and somedays you are the statue!

xx
Moulting

Started by debih on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2011, 08:43
by Casey76
xx
Moulting

Started by RobinL on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 22:28
by EJCTM
xx
Moulting

Started by snow white on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2013, 15:13
by ANHBUC
xx
Moulting

Started by widget on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 10, 2009, 17:40
by Foxy

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 38 queries.