mountfield mower

• 3 Replies

digalotty

mountfield mower
« on: July 25, 2010, 09:59 »
my brother moved into a new house and found a mountfield petrol mower in the shed, it looks as new but was lying on its side and wont start,      how do we begin to get it going , do we have to drain it and clean it someway.
as you can imagine we are not mechanics so any help please
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

yamandmole

Re: mountfield mower
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:30 »
Wish I could find nearly new mowers lying around! A few tips which will hopefully get it going; Is there any fuel in the tank? If there is, it may be stale and useless. A quick sniff will tell you all you need to know. If there is, I suggest you remove the fuel tank (usually only a few bolts) and flush it out thoroughly with clean petrol. Do the same for the carburettor and fuel lines, since old petrol forms a sticky substance which bungs everything up! When done, refill tank with fresh petrol.

Also remove the spark plug and check for any damage. If none, give the electrodes a good clean with a small brush. An old toothbrush will do the job. Check that there is a gap between the electrodes. While the plug is out, give the start rope a few gentle pulls to check that the engine isn't seized. Be careful here - if things feel unusually "tight" there may be surface rust on the bores. To avoid the risk of breaking the piston rings, inject a little light oil (not too much though) through the plug hole, have a cup of tea, and try again.

If all is OK, replace the plug and try to start the engine. hopefully, after a few pulls, it will fire up. If nothing happens, remove the plug again. If it is damp and/or smells of petrol, fuel is getting through. It may then be that you are not getting a spark at the plug. Check this by putting the HT lead back on the plug, and earthing the plug on a suitable metal surface (cylinder head is ideal). Shouting now - DON'T hold the plug or lead with your hands; if the electrical system is working, you will get a hell of a belt when the cord is pulled. Not nice, believe me! Now give the rope a pull. There should be a nice fat spark, clearly visible at the electrodes. If so, put the plug back and try again. If not, there may be a deeper fault within the electrical system.

Give it a go, and let me know how you get on - if you still don't get a result, we'll delve a little further....... Good luck!
Once a moley, always a moley.........

smud6ie

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 13:36 »
Before you attempt to start it!! If it is a 4 stroke engine  it will have  an oil filler ,make sure it has oil in it or better still, change it.It would also use straight petrol and not a petrol/oil mix
smud6ie

digalotty

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 22:26 »
ok chaps will check this out , i did take the plug out and see if a spark was present but i didn't earth it ,,,,doh

xx
mountfield lawn mower

Started by tintintin on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 10:15
by TINTIN
xx
Mountfield mower revving...

Started by Growster... on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post July 08, 2013, 17:36
by Gwiz
xx
Mountfield Mower SP464 wheel keeps falling off

Started by andyw on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 09:23
by andyw
xx
Mountfield M1

Started by dm1605 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2021, 08:18
by dm1605

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 35 queries.