Courgette Omlette and other courgette recipies

• 56 Replies

hayles62

• Experienced Member
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2006, 10:04 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
What do you do for a living hayles?  arsonist???? lol

I'm a sucker for a gadget especialy if it sparks or makes fire hehe! I'm a dab hand with an angle grinder too but not in the kitchen :lol:

wellingtons

Hales ... there is a use for an angle grinder in the kitchen
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2006, 18:07 »
... if you get one of those scotchbrite heads for it, it will clean the glass door of your cooker better than any wallop advertised on the TV ...  :lol:

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
courgette cake
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2006, 13:16 »
this is my first post and you'll probably think i am a bit strange but i have just taken a courgette cake out of the oven!! my 16 yr old son is stood looking at me like i have lost the plot! just need to wait for it to cool so i can add the lime cream cheese icing. will report back later after tasting it.

wellingtons

I did a version of the courgette ...
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2006, 14:27 »
... baked omelette at lunch time, but I roasted the courgettes with a little red onion first.  The just bunged two beaten eggs on top and a handful of grated chedder and lots of black pepper.  Now I only have 13 courgettes to eat.

It goes really well with the leftovers of last year's batch of chilli jam!

wombling2006

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2006, 22:38 »
All your recipies sound great for me being a veggie and all......Alas I am a bit of a disaster area in the kitchen and tend to burn things on a regular basis...My kids drop to their knees and plead with me not to cook if I pick them up from school when I'm off work...When I've made a real effort in the past, my eldests comment was...next time you're feeling creative..go and paint a picture....tut tut...kids are sooo honest....Any good easy recipies from anyone will be very much appreciated..I'm a veggie but my kids aren't..... :?
....beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

wombling2006

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2006, 22:46 »
Just noticed the recipes link on the site...doh.... :oops:

Jenny

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 09:34 »
My OH is now working on courgette wine (variation of marrow wine in an old cookery book we have, with recipies that start like, 'Take one pig....') to deal with my glut. Also adding them to everything - stir fry, roasted, salads etc. But need to get some decent gloves as I keep getting prickled pickig them!
I have also discovered that I don't really like asparagus peas which is really disappointing as I have grown loads for the first time this year! :(

karen

STUFFED COURGETTE/MARROW
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2006, 19:12 »
I have been giving carrier bags of courgettes away at work (7 plants is 6 too many),  and so people have been telling me their recipes for using them up.

One I really like is Stuffed courgette/marrow  - so this is when they are a small marrow and not the size of your leg from the knee down.

For this recipe you cut the marrow lengthways in half and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle with olive oil, season and pop in the oven for about 10 -15 mins till it just starts to go soft. (pour out any liquid that may have started to collect in the scooped out bit.

Mean while chop some cherry tomoatoes, basil, pitted black olives, red onion and some goats cheese, fill the marrow with this and pop back in the oven till all of this has browned a little and the cheese has melted.

Season again (freshly grond black pepper is good) and  serve.

Yummy!  this makes a really good starter for 2.

karen

green chips
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2006, 19:15 »
I am not mad - this is really nice - cut courgette/ marrow into chip like strips, roll in a little seasoned flour.  Deep fat fry.

Drain on a little kitchen roll, salt  to taste and serve.

I got a few strange looks when I did this for friends but once they got over the shock of green chips and tried them they said they were really nice.  

I liked them, kids might too

wombling2006

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2006, 22:53 »
green chips sound great  :D  can't wait to get the plot a1 for planting for next year...

Oliveview

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2008, 17:59 »
My courgette plant update.  2 dead plants (1 to Mr Mole and the other to the underground watering failing :( ) and the other two plants are rubbish- the fruits are rotting :(   Oh well, at least other folk are enjoying the courgette recipe :D
Pamela

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Re: courgette cake
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 12:51 »
Quote from: "lucywil"
this is my first post and you'll probably think i am a bit strange but i have just taken a courgette cake out of the oven!! my 16 yr old son is stood looking at me like i have lost the plot! just need to wait for it to cool so i can add the lime cream cheese icing. will report back later after tasting it.

Sounds lovely, any chance of a receipe???  Pretty please

Claire

compostqueen

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 15:01 »
I made this the other night

Courgette Chocolate Cake.  I used yellow courgettes as I think they are more difficult to detect as my husband doesn't like courgettes. Well he thinks he doesn't  :twisted:

It's a beautifully moist, gooey cake and served up with cream, ice cream and some fresh rasps on the side makes a rather posh pud.  Don't tell folks what's in it though til after they've scoffed it  8)

I made mine in a loaf tin.  Cut it in half horizontally (obviously  :lol: ) and stuffed it with buttercream (with cocoa) and dusted the top with icing sugar as it had cracked somewhat.  

Courgette Chocolate Cake

4 oz butter
6oz SR flour
6 oz sugar
2 eggs
2 heaped tbsp cocoa powder, or more to taste, depending how richly chocolatey you like it
1 medium courgette, grated (I used a yellow one)
milk to mix (or hot water out the kettle)

Cream butter and sugar well (I used a foodmixer), add beaten eggs, then beat in flour and cocoa, then add grated courgette. Mix to soft dropping (180 degrees) for approx 40 minutes or so until risen and firm to the touch. Turn out and cool on wire rack.  

You can ice it on the top with icing of your choice, or split it into 2 or 3 lengthways and sandwich together with chocolate butter icing; even better is Green & Black's chocolate and hazelnut spread.

jannie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 20:25 »
i got recipe for a chocolate and beetroot cake if any one wants to try that one  :)

ck2day

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2008, 20:49 »
Quote from: "jannie"
i got recipe for a chocolate and beetroot cake if any one wants to try that one  :)

Yes please, I am all for trying something different in the way of cakes

Claire

xx
Val's Courgette Pie

Started by ytyynycefn on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2006, 23:19
by John
xx
courgette jam

Started by gert on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 04, 2011, 13:05
by Maryann
xx
Courgette Tian

Started by Potterer on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

0 Replies
Last post September 30, 2021, 12:19
by Potterer
xx
courgette chutney

Started by noshed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2006, 23:41
by John

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 38 queries.