Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes

• 71 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes
« on: February 14, 2009, 13:04 »
We're looking for recipes using fruit as a primary ingredient. Could be a pudding or a chutney or a jam - just so long as it's basically a fruit recipe.

The best recipes will be put on the recipe pages of the site.

The prize is a copy of Carol Klein's latest book, Grow Your Own Fruit. There's an extract from the book on the web site: How to Grow Peaches & Nectarines

The competition is open to all members and you may enter more than one recipe. The winner will be chosen by Allotment Growing at the end of March

The Legal Stuff

By entering you agree to grant to the allotment growing website group including sub-domains and associated sites thereof a non-exclusive licence to publish and use your recipe and extracts from your recipe on the site.

The prize must be taken as stated and cannot be deferred. There will be no cash alternative. Prize(s) unclaimed after 28 days will be deemed to have been forfeited and Allotment Growing reserves the right to offer the prize to another entrant. The winner will need to provide their name and address in order to receive their prize.

Recipes should be in line with the theme of the competition. Entries that do not comply in the sole opinion of Allotment Growing will be removed. The decision of Allotment Growing to accept or reject an entry is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 00:23 by john »
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Re: Recipe Competition #1 - Fruit Recipes
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 16:55 »
my recipe for the cherries on from my cherry tree

pull off the tree

put in my mouth

chew and savour the taste..... mmmmm

oh and slap anyone else who tries to touch them

:tongue2:

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 17:11 »
That might not be a winner but it's the best so far!
Val
Recipes Galore!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 21:25 »
That might not be a winner but it's the best so far!

hee hee val, its the best i can do. im 100% cant cook, dont cook.

i only have an oven because the kitchen came with one  :lol: thats why i live in the same village as my mum  ;)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 22:33 »
Crannachan

Ingredients

1lb/500g raspberries
6 tbsp whisky
3oz/75g pinhead oatmeal
6 tbsp malt whisky
3 Tbs Heather Honey
1pt/600 ml Double cream

Method

Spread oatmeal on a baking sheet and toast in a medium oven until crisp for 3-6 minutes.

Be careful they don't burn.

Leave cool.

Whip the cream until it is thick but not stiff.

Blend all the raspberries (except 2 which are for decoration) until they form a smooth purée.

Combine oatmeal, whisky, sugar and cream and raspberries.

Spoon the mixture into tall glasses

Chill for an hour or two before serving.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 22:49 »
Sounds lovely. Any particular whisky?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 23:09 »
Glenmorangie Nector D'Or works for me with this  :D

GreenOwl

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 15:04 »
Come on Babe you can manage this one:

Rhubarb Mousse
Chill small tin of evap milk in fridge.
Cook 1lb of sliced rhubarb gently with 2 tbsp of water and sugar to taste (2 oz?)
Puree and add packet of raspberry jelly granules.
Mix well and chill in fridge until almost set.
Then:
Whisk evap milk until thick and creamy
Mix in rhubarb puree (reserving 2 tbsp).  Stir through reserved 2 tbsp to create a ripple effect.  Chill until set.
Enjoy!

Is rhubarb a fruit?  If not use gooseberries with lime jelly!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 15:48 by GreenOwl »

Poolfield2

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 19:16 »
Real Fruit Jelly

Using any mix of berry fruits, just cover them with water and simmer gently for 10 mins with enough sugar to make the mixture sweet enough for you.

Rub the mixture through a sieve and measure the liquid. Using 1 gelatine leaf per 0.25 pint presoak the leaves for 3 mins and then drain. Stir the leaves into warm mixture til dissolved  and leave to set in the fridge.

I'm using this to use up the raspberries and redcurrants from my freezer.

Swing Swang

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 20:26 »
Apple & Gooseberry Sauce

One of the great things about having family living overseas is the opportunity that we have to try new things whilst visiting them, and the ability to bring back exotic ingredients to place in the larder. OH loves meat/fruit combinations and one day asked me to, ‘do something with that last can of Cape Gooseberries’. I used some of them to stuff a rolled leg of pork which was then roasted in the usual fashion, the accompanying sauce was superb:

1 Dessert Apple
12 Cape Gooseberries
5-10ml Raspberry Vinegar

Peel, core and slice the apple and cook down in a saucepan with a little water. Work quickly and the apple won’t brown significantly. Keep adding water as necessary to stop the apple drying out . Add the Cape gooseberries and vinegar once the apple has reduced to a lumpy pulp. Heat until the gooseberries just begin to break down. Serve warm. The Raspberry vinegar is optional , but it does add to the fruity sweet and sourness. I get mine from ‘Oil and Vinegar’. The vinegar will stop the apples mushing down so it is imperative that it is not added before they have reached the desired texture.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 20:27 »
Grape Pudding
A delicious desert that works well with most soft fruits, but grapes are my favourite.

150g self-raising flour
2 eggs
50g to 100g caster sugar
100g butter
Generous splash of milk
300g to 500g of red or white grapes, halved and deseeded.

Make a fairly wet sponge mixture by creaming the fat and sugar together, whisking in the beaten eggs, and folding in the flour. Add sufficient milk to get a mixture that is a little looser than a soft dropping consistency.

Line a 25cm dish with greaseproof paper and cover the base with two layers of halved grapes. More grapes make for a very moist desert, fewer and the final result will be more like an upside-down cake. Spoon over the cake mixture, you need to make it wet enough so that it will flow around the grapes, but not so wet that you get a soggy base. Better to err on the slightly dry side if you are not in the mood for experimenting.

Bake in a moderate oven at 180Âș C for 35-50 minutes until golden brown.

Serve with custard to 4-6 diners. This pudding freezes well, but is best defrosted then reheated in a conventional oven rather than warmed in a microwave.

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 20:28 »
Grandma’s Gooseberry Upsidedown Cake
For the very best way to eat gooseberries do try this family recipe.

Base:
   Soft brown sugar
   Gooseberries
Sponge:
   2 eggs
   4 oz sugar
   4 oz flour
   4 oz butter or margarine

Grease a flat 8” cake tin, line with greaseproof paper and grease again. Cover the bottom with a generous quantity of soft brown sugar, then layer with the prepared gooseberries.
Cover with a standard, plain sponge mixture and bake in a moderate oven at 180Âș C for 35-50 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool, chill, turn out and serve.
I think that an elderflower ice-cream would go really well with this, but I must confess to never having got around to actually making any.

Swing Swang

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 20:29 »
Mulled Pears
An impromptu dessert that would work really well as a trifle base. I topped mine with a quick chocolate mousse’ which was actually a bit too rich for us. As an added bonus you get to drink the Mulled Wine too.

4-6 Firm Pears
500ml Red Wine
100gm Castor Sugar
1 Mulled Wine ‘teabag’

For the Mulled Wine:
250ml Red Wine
440ml Sweet Cider
Calvados or Brandy if you dare!

Warm the wine, add the sugar and spice bag. Stir until the sugar has dissolved. Peel, quarter and core the pears, then poach them in the red wine for 20min. The mulled wine spice bags are sold in supermarkets leading up to Christmas and consist of things like cloves, cinnamon, dried orange peel wrapped up in a piece of butter muslin. If you can’t find them then mix your own. Drain, cool and serve the pears. Reserve the cooking liquid.

Add the rest of the bottle of wine and the can of cider to the cooking liquid. Heat and check for sweetness adding more sugar/wine/cider as necessary. You might feel, like I do, that all of this poaching and simmering has boiled off all of the alcohol. It hasn’t, but if you want more of a kick then add calvados or brandy if you are feeling brave.

After one of these in front of a fire on a cold winter’s evening you don’t really want to be getting back up for more, so store the mulled wine in a thermos flask by the logs.

Swing Swang

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 20:32 »
Quince Cheese
Whilst on a trip to Wales we managed to ‘scrump’ a bucket of quinces from Shipley Gardens. The owner was quite happy for us to do so, we left with the impression that it was quite common for visitors to be allowed to leave with a few apples or pears.

The quince tree was not exactly over-pruned, which was a fairly typical state of affairs for all of the fruit trees in this fairly naturalistic of gardens. Its heavily laden boughs yielded fairly small quinces, which made the preparation of the cheese time consuming.

Washing the fur from the skin cutting out any bruised parts as you go. Then core, I found that the easiest way to do this to the hard fruit was to cut it into quarters, then to take off a single diagonal slice from each quarter, starting from the stalk end. The cores, with a fair bit of flesh, were retained and used elsewhere. The ‘cheeks’, skin and all, were pressure cooked with a scant mug of water at 5psi for an hour.

The quinces were then passed through the fine plate of a mouli-legumes (sieve), placed into a jam pan with an equal weight of sugar and boiled for about ten minutes. The mixture should be as thick and as dry as possible. It will probably spit, so keep stirring continuously and protect your hand and arms. Don’t allow the mixture to rise above 105Celcius or else you’ll start to produce syrup and not jam.

Pour the mixture into moulds, I used 20cm bread tins lined with greaseproof paper, and leave to dry outside for a week. Well that would work if you live in the Alentejo region of Portugal where the thermometer often reaches into the forties. In the UK a different strategy is called for. Leave the cheeses in a very cool, 45Celcius, oven for three days, turn out, turn upside down,  and return to the oven for another two to three days.

Once cool the cheese should be as solid as a soft bit of cheddar. It will keep for a few weeks in the fridge.

Enjoy the preserve on its own, with bread, or with cheese.

poultrygeist

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 20:37 »
I think samples of recipes should be posted to all mods for judging. :wub:

thumbup
Recipe Competition #2 - Frugal Recipes

Started by John on Competitions

34 Replies
Last post May 21, 2009, 16:20
by Moosey
smiley
Recipe Competition #3 - May - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

34 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 17:08
by Yabba
smiley
Recipe Competition #4 - June & July - Seasonal Recipes Grown in Britain

36 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 09:37
by Patricia
thumbup
Recipe Competition - Vegetarian Main Course Dishes

51 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 22:57
by sloegin

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.