Poultry and Pets > Chicken Chat

Chickens and veggies.

<< < (12/12)

danfinn1:
Well one of mine was trying to drink spilt coffee from the table on Saturday.Quite funny to watch as both she and I were unsure whether she liked it. :D

To explain, our boys (34) and (32) came round to help me fell a couple of young sycamores. After we had got them down and logged up I made us all bacon and egg sandwiches and let my hens out. The boys got fed, split some coffee and then said goodbye. I was left finishing off my sandwich being watched by three pair of eyes. Hen the decided to jump up on the arm of the chair opposite to get a closer look at what I was eating, she then noticed the coffee and took a few sips ::). I did explain that DEFRA would not like it but she just jumped down beep beeped and walked off :lol:

andreadon:
We discovered a couple of weeks ago that our chickens do not like savoy cabbage - i thought it would be very popular indeed, but they took off the out couple of green leaves and left the rest!  :wacko:

They loved the spring greens though.

leanda:
Can they eat grapes and vine leaves please?

New shoot:
Mine regularly help themselves from the vine in the back garden, so yes.  They eat a few leaves, but aren't that bothered.  Grapes on the other hand cause a frenzy  :)

Tom Parrot:
Hello readers,
This topic caught my eye and went through all the replies. Interesting.
As for kitchen scraps, including meat, it could all go into a HOT BIN. I've had one for many years now and if the mix is right it makes lovely compost. If the mix is not right and you have the space, after composting in the hot bin put it onto a normal compost and mix it in.
It can get to over 120 degrees centigrade. Normally about 90/100 degrees.
As for vegetables for the hens. I grow Swiss Chard for them and they prefer that to other brassicas.
Plant out the tomatoes and the bottom leaves are quickly eaten. With the hens jumping up to eat those leaves higher up. Helps to ripen the tomatoes lower down so no harm done.
Low growing fruit can disappear before you get a chance to taste it.
All good fun!!!!!!!!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version