Bindweed

• 10 Replies

Fafafifi

Bindweed
« on: July 12, 2006, 09:07 »
Hello All
I seem to be fighting a losing battle with bindweed on my plot.  Its the one with the pink and white stripey flowers rather than the the plain white ones.

I have been hoeing regularly but this just seems to encourage it to grow back even quicker!  I've tried digging it up but the roots go so deep and break so easily and theres just so much of it I would end up spending all my time up the allotment trying to get rid of it.

Soooo the only thing I can think of now is to spray it with something, but I am not sure what - any advice?

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bindweed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 09:21 »
I'm afraid your problem is that it will grow from a small piece of root and the hoe can be counter productive. I would use glyphosate on it. Use as the instructions on the packet and don't be tempted to start digging it up until it is really dead, or you  remove the top before the roots have died.
I'm not keen on weed killer but there are some situations where it is the most sensible action.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Oliver

Bindweed
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:19 »
Quote from: "john"
it will grow from a small piece of root.
endorse John entirely. it is a b***** to get rid of. After 30 odd years we still have some around. So - weedkiller for the worst of it, and then just keep pulling it up whenever you see it and hope eventually to weaken the plant so that it gives up (and goes next door!)
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Gwiz

Bindweed
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:50 »
the name of the chemical you want is "round up" its luverly!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bindweed
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 13:10 »
There are a number of 'brands' available that contain glyphosate - roundup is just one of them. Check the bottle / packet which will say what's in it.
Also - don't get something like 'pathclear' - you want to plant on the area later. That may seem obvious but  I spoke with someone the other day who said a weedkiller was a weedkiller!

Jake

• Rockers
Bindweed
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 13:14 »
So you're basically saying that path clear permanently poisons the soil?

Outrageous if thats the case. I feel quite mad. If thats what it does, thats what it should be called.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Shelley

Bindweed
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 17:03 »
I know this sounds like hard work but in the long run you will win. Bindweed store its enrgy in the roots if you take away the sun light it makes it weeker, but it will come back. if you dig the soil over carefully you will see long white roots. these are what you need to get out. if you break a piece off that will grow. Dont give them a chance.

Fafafifi

Bindweed
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 20:20 »
Thanks everyone for your advice!

I think I will have to spray to get on top of the current infestation and then see what happens next year when the weed season begins!

milkman

Bindweed
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 09:49 »
If you are trying to garden organically, reaching for the weedkiller may not be the answer.  I would suggest aiming for control rather than total eradication.  If the bindweed infested area is free of crops, dig it over very carefully trying to extract as many of the fleshy white roots as you can.  If it is growing amongst crops and you think it is impeding their progress, carefully tease as much of the root out as you can out using a handfork.  If this is not possible simply cut through the top growth so it stops strangling your plants.  Bindweed will always regrow, but it'll be under your control and it won't stop you growing and harvesting what you want to.  I have co-existed with bindweed on my plot in this way for 7 or 8 years now.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bindweed
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 10:25 »
Quote from: "Jake"
So you're basically saying that path clear permanently poisons the soil?

Outrageous if thats the case. I feel quite mad. If thats what it does, thats what it should be called.

It doesn't last for ever but will stop you growing anything for at least six months.  There would also be spots where the effect lasted for longer.

I'm always cautious with glyphosate - there are articles on the web that suggest Monsanto falsified safety data (you will note the care in that expression) and that roundup can cause harm to people using it a lot. I think they were aimed at agricultural workers but it can't do any harm to be careful.

Verminer

Bindweed
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 14:03 »
i have loads of the stuff in my lotty, but i just keep pulling it up and eventually i hope it will weaken before i do

xx
Bindweed - best way to get rid

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2007, 14:56
by slow_worm
xx
How to get rid of bindweed

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2010, 17:41
by Carol
xx
Bindweed - help!

Started by Nosher on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 18:41
by Trillium
question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 35 queries.