Blackcurrents

• 5 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
Blackcurrents
« on: June 27, 2006, 20:28 »
Sorry if there's already a topic for this. I did a search but didn't see it so anyway,

My blackcurrent bush in the garden is a picture, lovely fat berries all over it, the branches hanging down with the weight. :)

My problem is that some of the currents are ripe now, many are various stages of red and some are green! :?

I was hoping for a glut of them to make my own jam. Should I just leave them to all ripen or pick the ripe ones as and when then they don't spoil?
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Blackcurrents
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 21:24 »
Hi Jake, my blackcurrant isn't very old, so I don't get loads of berries, but like you, wanted to make jam.  The first lot of berries that ripened I left so as to collect more, but the birds kept eating them, so last year, I had an ice cream tub in the freezer, and each time I got some ripe berries, I picked them and popped them into the tub.  Didn't have enough for jam, but they were added to other fruit.  When they defrost, the juice runs out of them, so they would be fine for jam too!!!

Oliver

Blackcurrents
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 21:47 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
pick the ripe berries and put them in the freezer
Brilliant idea. The birds had a field day eating the red currents, now they are starting on the raspberries.
She uses black currents as one of the main ingredients in summer pudding - she loves the flavour and the pectin makes for a good set. The juice makes a fantastic soft drink when mixed with sparkling water.
She finds black current jam is not very successful and making jelly is too much of a palaver.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Jake

• Rockers
Blackcurrents
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 22:44 »
Thanks for the idea grannieannie. We've only just got a freezer! we did have one that broke but then was a year without one.

my blackcurrant isn't very old, so I don't get loads of berries

I planted mine very early in 2005. It produced about six berries that year. I put horse muck (not rotted) around the base in about November 05. I didn't dig or hoe it in or anything, just left it by the base. Funnily enough a daffodil came up near there which has never flowered before. It was about 2 shovel fulls of muck off the road. I really do think that that has helped enormously, even though I don't have any experience to judge against.

I think I will make jam if there is enough because i've made good jam twice before although not blackcurrent. The trick is you really do need to make a lot at a time, so if there's not enough fruit then there's no point.

Our globe artichokes look pretty good on horse muck too btw.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
Blackcurrents
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 00:01 »
Jake, my own experience is to pick the currants as they ripen and use as required. You might find that netting your bush(es) is a good idea to deter birds.

You should however, find that within a couple of weeks that you'll hit the peak period when most of the currants will ripen. At that time I simply harvest by nipping each "string" of currants where it meets the main branch. To me it doesn't matter if all of the berries in the "string" have ripened as long as 80-90% have reached this stage.

The next stage then depends on how you intend to use them. If its Jelly then you need do no more as it will be strained removing the pieces of stalk. If its jam or pies then I remove the tiny stalks. As an organic grower I never get hung up about the blossom end (good roughage).

Hope this helps

Beanzie
Ah well ! There is always next year !

Jake

• Rockers
Blackcurrents
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 13:42 »
Quote from: "Jake"

I think I will make jam if there is enough because i've made good jam twice before although not blackcurrent. The trick is you really do need to make a lot at a time, so if there's not enough fruit then there's no point.

I'd like to retract that statement. I was lacking inspiration and just made jam with the 500 grams of currants. Got 3 jars of it. Turned out fine.

xx
blackcurrents

Started by van connick on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 17:43
by gobs

Page created in 0.289 seconds with 28 queries.