Good Soil

• 6 Replies

Markw

• Experienced Member
Good Soil
« on: March 12, 2012, 10:36 »
I expect that some of you might think this is a stupid question.

I have grown a few things in the past, tomatoes etc, this year I want to grow lots of stuff in the garden veg. Now my soil is not that good it is like a sandy clay soil ,it sticks to your boots!!

I was looking at trying to improve it by adding some good soil and digging it in.I have spent most of the weekend digging out an old bonfire come compost heap.the soil looks very good

I have also dug out an old pond that has been empty for years. in total I must have about 2 tone of prity good looking soil. I have sieved about 10 bags full from the bonfire heap.

What I am asking will this be ok to dig in I was more worried about the bonfire soil if it could harm the plants. is there anything else that people could recommend I could dig in such as a fertilizer

Any advice would be most welcome..

I am planning in filling in the pond and also using this area for growing. the stuff from the pond is in s nice heap.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

mattwragg94

Re: Good Soil
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 10:40 »
what have you burnt? if it was just wood and vegitation it will be fine to add to your soil.

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 10:46 »
Mostly wood and old bushes, there were a couple of tables and chairs with some uphulstry on them about 5 years ago if that is of help

Many thanks for the reply

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 10:50 »
If the soil sticks to your boots in wet weather it sounds much more clay than sand to me (even if it's a sandy colour - not that all sand is yellow!)

Trying hard to picture your precise collection of holes and piles of stuff!  ::)

If the ashes have been there a long time most of the nutrients will have washed away by now, if not you need to be aware that wood ash is fairly alkaline and won't suit ericaceous plants (eg blueberries) and can also encourage scab on spuds.

Otherwise just get it all spread around and dug in - the organic material will improve your soil whatever it consists of.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 11:37 »
Thanks lads for the replies.

Yes you could say it was clay soil. the stuff out of the bonfire looks more like seed compost is it worth sieving it all or just pile it all on and dig it in. I must  have nearly have half a cubic mtr of sieved soil . It is hard work it would save a lot of time.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:46 »
You're using it as a soil improver rather than a seed compost so a few odd lumps and twigs won't matter - logs and bricks would be better got rid of though!  :lol:

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:23 »
Thanks for the advice ,it saves a lot of work.

xx
Is Soil any Good!!!!

Started by andrewjwalsh on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 15:08
by andrewjwalsh
xx
new to my plot and need advice on generating good soil...

Started by steve chip on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 02, 2012, 18:54
by Christine
question
Ash and soil pH

Started by Vit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2011, 23:52
by Vit
xx
Top Soil

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 20, 2012, 21:03
by Growster...

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 33 queries.