Wartime onions

• 4 Replies

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
Wartime onions
« on: October 28, 2022, 22:36 »
Got dig for victory book from John great book as a traditional style gardener I love it quick question in the book it says to firm the ground for onions is that still good practice

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
Re: Wartime onions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2022, 17:02 »
I got the book aswell, I have really enjoyed  reading it so far. I havent firmed the ground round my sets although they are covered, hoppefully thet will be ok
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2022, 21:07 »
The reason I asked is because I can see an argument for both ways if soil is loose it doesn’t restrict roots soil firm gives them a good hold and stop the getting damaged from weather etc this growing lark will do ya head in lol

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 11:41 »
I do sometimes tread the soil in spring and summer to flatten it down and firm it.  it is usually areas I have dug the previous autumn and winter and I just shuffle over the patch making sure I get it all. 

The soil needs to be fairly dry before you do it, so this time of year I hardly ever do it because the soil is generally wetter and I am on clay, so it really can compact.

Warning - fellow plot holders will look at you oddly as you do your little soil shuffle, but that never bothers me  :lol:

Music optional  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YAq3OTXkLo

Snowboar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 18:10 »
I’ve done the harry dobson shuffle before 😀😀👍

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 38 queries.