how to take cuttings from a buddleia

• 9 Replies

goddards

how to take cuttings from a buddleia
« on: August 13, 2009, 22:31 »
not sure if i spelt it correctly! how do i take cuttings from it want to try and get at least 2 or 3 new plants! its flowering at the moment.
could i have an explanantion in the most simplest of terms as im quite a novice lol!
thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 14:08 by Ice »

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: how to take cuttings from a buddlia
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:06 »
in my experience they self seed everywhere, so why not let a couple of flowers go to seed and grow them on from that

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 12:59 »
Yes they seem to spring up in all sorts of places, the drier and more inaccessible the better for them (like cracks in brickwork, concrete etc.) They don't seem to like an easy life!

8doubles

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 13:49 »
Buddlia do self-seed all over the place but they may be cross pollinated with a differant variety. I suggest you bend a low green shoot down and put a brick on it , cut it from the parent bush when the roots have formed.

Spana

Re: how to take cuttings from a buddleia
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 17:38 »
Have a look along a branch and see if you can find a shoot that hasn't flowered, cut it off.  See if you can find 4or 5 more. Lay them on a hard flat surface and cut them just below a leaf joint and 4-5 inches from the top.  Carefully pull off the lower leaves, leaving you with the top shoot and one more pair of leaves.  You need about 2inches of clear stem.  I mix compost with sand half and half, fill a pot and  make a little hole round the side  and put each cutting in up to the bottom leaves and water.  I dont use rooting powder on Buddleia as they root easily, and I dont cover them with a plastic bag either. I've done loads. Just have a go and dont worry if they're a bit longer or shorter.  Do more than you need.  You may find self seeded ones about but they have a long root that gets down into cracks which nearly always get damaged when you dig the out.
Good luck, you'll have a Budleia forest before you know it. :lol:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 17:44 by Spana »

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 16:08 »
I've grown lots of these using the same technique as Spana suggests except I've always had better results by sticking the cuttings into a spare bit of soil, they always seem to grow much better than the ones I've started off in pots  :)

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 19:37 »
All the above work but if you can't bend the branches down a soft wood cutting will work.
Take 4/5'' tips which have not got flowers on them take off all but 2 leaves and put 3 or 4 into a pot 3"deep of gritty compost and keep moist, should all take. Good luck!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 19:46 »
Still on the subject of cuttings, but Hydrangea  (sorry goddards) but i took half a dozen cuttings  a fortnight ago. They have been in little pots inside polybags on the warm propogator bottom. How long do i leave them there, and when can i open the bags........did loads of cuttings years ago but can't now remember the ins and outs DOH

Spana

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 21:01 »
I'm a lover of Hydrangeas too mumofstig, got them everywhere.  Do loads of cuttings but I've never given them heat or cover so cant really advise, but would think that two weeks even with heat is not long enough for rooting. I'd upend the pot and have a look after a month.  I find them quite slow to root but as i said thats without bottom heat.

Steve.B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 21:19 »
Hydrangea.......Take 4/5" tips with out flowers and take all but the top leaves off cut to a bottom leaf bud and trim off the top of the remaining pair of leaves, less water needed to keep the cutting alive. Put into gritty compost and keep moist, I don't cover but you can. I only pot on when roots come out of the bottom of a 4" pot.

xx
Buddleia

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2019, 16:08
by RubyRed
xx
Buddleia

Started by fatbelly on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post August 27, 2014, 13:13
by Dilly Dom
xx
Buddleia propogating?

Started by loubylou29 on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 08:02
by dig4victory
xx
Dwarf Buddleia

Started by evie2 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 20:33
by evie2

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 39 queries.