Wont go to bed in th house!

• 5 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Wont go to bed in th house!
« on: September 26, 2011, 19:39 »
After a sad 6 months were we lost 4 of our 6 chooks, we have just introduced 4 new girlies  :D Dotty a Speckledy Maran, Lottie a Devon Roock, Henrietta our Rhode Rock and Florence a white leghorn.

I have to say after reading some horror stories on here, it has been remarkably calm, a few digs here and there but on the whole fairly smooth.

Dotty our new Speckeled Maran, however just seems to want to roost in a tree at night!  All the others have got the hang of trotting in to the house, but she just paces the fence eyeing up the branches above  :blink:

So far for the past 3 nights, I have had to pick her up and insert her in the house.  I know her instinct is to roost high in a tree, but how do I convince her the house is a far safer option!
Emma

daisy1990

Re: Wont go to bed in th house!
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 20:28 »
If you put a torch in the coop she may follow the light, otherwise persevere and she will get the message eventually.  I am having a similar problem with my young hens as we have swapped coops and they are not impressed with their new 5 star digs!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 22:11 »
Thank you I will try that. I am just glad she is friendly enough for me be able to pick up without too much fuss!  :D

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 19:25 »
 :D Yay at last Dotty has gone to bed without intervention by me! They are having to run the gauntlet to get in though as our old 2 are guarding the doorway  :(

grinling

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 20:12 »
2 of mine aren't too keen on the 5 new ones and guard the food and water. I gently tell them off and they move. The new ones had to be pushed through the pop hole the first night, but now on night 3 have gone in. They sleep on the floor rather than roost.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:55 »
3 of my new 4 are sleeping on the floor as well.  I took the decision that step one was to get them all going in the house, which now they are, step 2 is to keep picking them up and popping them onto the perches once settled.  Fingers crossed before much longer no bedtime intervention will be needed  :wacko:

xx
play house to hen house

Started by Catsmuvva on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2011, 10:03
by ANHBUC
clip
My new hen house and run

Started by carolbriar on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post August 19, 2014, 20:52
by barley
xx
Hen House

Started by francais on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 21:47
by francais
xx
New hen house

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 23:14
by billathome65

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 32 queries.