Christmas present from my son, 3 x 2wk old chicks........help!!!!!!

• 13 Replies

bulliesrus

Hi, my name is Jackie, my son has just bought me 3, 2 week old chicks........ I know nothing about them and thought this might be the best idea for me to get advice and help, (I am sure I am going to need it) :ohmy: 

I have them in the conservatory, which has underfloor heating, they also have a heat lamp on them, they are in a old dog crate with wood chips on the floor, they have water and chick feed in proper feeders, am i doing ok so far???

So if anyone has any good advice please feel free to let me know.

I look forward it.

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would remove the wood chips for now incase they try to eat them otherwise you seem to be set up!  Just make sure there are no draughts and the water and food are kept clean!

Best start looking for a coop and run asap as they will grow quickly!

Do you know what type of chickens they are?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
At 2 weeks they should be fine with the wood chips,my chicks are on chips by the time they are 3-5 days old.  What I would say though is that although the conservatory has underfloor heating, if doors are opened they could still get a draught, so just sellotape some cardboard or similar around the dog cage up to about 18 inches high, it will help keep the heating from the floor and lamp in too.

Their body temps should be about 31 degrees by now.  You will see if they are too cold as they will crowd under the heat lamp.  If they are right at the ede of the cage, they are too hot.

Don't try giving them anything else to eat apart from the chick crumb untl they are about 5 weeks wither, most things are too hard from them.  Once they are about 5-6 weeks, you can move them onto rearer, then onto layers pellets at around 15 weeks.

Good luck!!

bulliesrus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would remove the wood chips for now incase they try to eat them otherwise you seem to be set up!  Just make sure there are no draughts and the water and food are kept clean!

Best start looking for a coop and run asap as they will grow quickly!

Do you know what type of chickens they are?
Hi no I dont, but I will find out and let you know, thanks for the advice. regards Jackie

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
Oh you learn something new everyday Grannie!  I thought wood chips were about 3-4 weeks!  Must of mixed up weeks for days ??? :D :D :D :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
as you don't know the breed are you OK if they all turn out to be cockerels? Pure breed cockerels are hard enough to re-home but hybrids are nigh on impossible and unless they are dual purpose birds there could be very little meat on them.
I would pay a lot of attention to the advice that Grannie Annie has given you as she hatches lots  (she has a fridge size incubator) and also raises meat chickens and turkeys from day old  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

madcat

as you don't know the breed are you OK if they all turn out to be cockerels?

As they are a Christmas present from son, she hasn't much choice but to be okay!  at least for a while  ...  she can hardly reject boys from a boy without damaging him for life   :ohmy:  :happy:
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
I don't think Joyfull meant that bulliesrus would reject them but just that it must be planned what to do with them if they are boys :(

joyfull

correct Aunt Sally, they will be fine until they start crowing and then having 3 all crowing at 4.30 in the morning is no fun if you have neighbours. Also some areas have by laws that prohibit the keeping of cockerels.

bulliesrus

:wacko: ???  OMG, now I am starting to freek!!!!! my son said they had been sexed, he got them from Happy Chick, if anyone knows of it........ is there anyway to tell now?????????? 

They are doing fine by the way, all growing well, they seem to have there own personalitys, the blue one is quite chilled, the golden one is  cocky and the yellow/white one is hyper....lol they make me laugh already.

A Quick question, do all chicks peck?  They have a small cardboard box in there pen and keep pecking it.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I am sure I will need loads more.   :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
It sounds as though you have chicks that can be sexed as soon as they hatch - some breeds can be.  If that is the case you can relax :)

joyfull

some breeds can be colour and feather sexed but as yours are different colours I would not be too sure. A very few people can vent sex but sadly some people say they can and then get it wrong. Time will tell I'm afraid. As for pecking the box yes they often do that - they can see minute particles which we cant and will be trying to get them. Good luck with it all  :happy:
As you (or rather your son) have been sold these as females if there turns out to be a male amongst them then you are within your rights to return it and ask for a swap  :)

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
:wacko: ???  OMG, now I am starting to freek!!!!! my son said they had been sexed, he got them from Happy Chick, if anyone knows of it........ is there anyway to tell now?????????? 

They are doing fine by the way, all growing well, they seem to have there own personalitys, the blue one is quite chilled, the golden one is  cocky and the yellow/white one is hyper....lol they make me laugh already.

A Quick question, do all chicks peck?  They have a small cardboard box in there pen and keep pecking it.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I am sure I will need loads more.   :D

I've gotten most of my girls from Happy chicks, Sarah is a lovely person and im sure she has sexed them correctly, However if she has made a mistake (which is always possible) she will take back any boys if you contact her  :)

bulliesrus

:happy:  Thanks for all the advice, and thanks Haley`s Hens for putting my mind at ease, my son did say Shara was nice.

Thanks for all your advice so far.......... watch this space as they say. lol x

xx
Great early Christmas present!

Started by rosie14 on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post December 28, 2011, 18:11
by alaj
xx
Christmas present

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post December 26, 2010, 13:28
by Kym503
xx
Christmas present

Started by Jeanette on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post December 25, 2010, 11:14
by Foghorn-Leghorn
xx
Why is it just before Christmas...

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 23:19
by penninehillbilly

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 34 queries.