Eglu Cube

• 13 Replies

mikeimp

Eglu Cube
« on: August 11, 2012, 18:02 »
Hope someone can give me some advice.We have a small urban garden and are thinking about the Eglu Cube for about 4 hens.I would get one with the 1 mt extension to the run.

If its as Fox proof as they say  it is, is it  still necessary to lock the Chooks in at night if the weather is ok.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eglu Cube
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 18:17 »
I would also peg the skirt down in quite a few places (tent pegs would work). The run may be fox proof but they certainly aren't rat proof. The rats simply dig burrows  so don't leave any food out or on the ground over night.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 18:24 »
I've had an Eglu cube for over 2 years and it's been brilliant. It may not be as aesthetically pleasing as a wooden coop but it is so easy to keep clean and no red mite. My only bugbear is accessing the area under the house, it's ok if you're young and/or flexible. Check the Omlet forum as some members have developed ingenious methods for easier access- I bought a walk in run in the end.

Personally I feel three hens would be preferable as even with the extra metre they will have 3.6 square m ( please correct me if I'm wrong. If you intend to allow them to free range then this might not matter.

I have had foxes in the garden and so far the run has lived up to its reputation but I have taken an extra precaution of putting large  paving slabs on the weld mesh 'skirt' which extend over the edge of the skirt.

I don't close the coop door in the summer and realise there is always a risk that my defences might be breeched and you will need to make your own decision.I always close the door in the winter and in addition I put a cardboard box in the coop near the door and the hens tend to huddle behind it (it's a large coop gor only three birds) I change the box regularly.

You won't be disappointed. Good luck

mikeimp

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 18:50 »
Many thanks for your replies.I cannot at the moment think of letting them free roam out of the extended run.But I might change my mind if it was only for an hour or two.As we dont have the room to move the Eglu about should I get wood chipping to put on the grass ?
You say three chooks is four two many then?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 19:51 »
There' a difference between legal and recommended run area. 'Our' recommended run area is 1 square metre per chicken and ideally  2 square metres per bird. If they are crowded they can become easily stressed. You can increase the area by having different levels- a plastic coffe table for example.

Hard wood chips ( but not bark) is fine. The run is not tall so would be easy to cover which will reduce the smell in wet weather. Now my run is covered I use dust extracted shavings (hemcore / aubiose)

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 20:22 »
Where in the UK are you? It helps to add it to your profile.

mikeimp

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 11:52 »
Hi Jane Many thanks for your advice we are in Lincoln.Will add it to my profile.

Dopey113

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 16:04 »
omg you see the price of them things on ebay? and there 2nd hand as well!! how you ever going to get your ££ back in eggs?  :lol:
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

mikeimp

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 16:34 »
Not too bothered about how much the eggs would cost.I see it as a hobby and the hens as pets .Eggs come as a bonus.

If all I want is eggs I can go the local shop and buy as many as I want.But,they must taste better from your own hen surely.

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 16:35 »
over the years you will recoup the costs and also you don't have to buy expensive cleaning and redmite products, nor preservatives. Anyway a real good wooden coup such as the Forsham Lenham house for roughly the same amount of birds without a run costs £549 (if I was to go back to wooden coops this is the one I would save up for).

Lenham House here

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 16:36 »
They are certainly a lot fresher than shop bought ones  :D

jhub

• jane
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 19:13 »
omg you see the price of them things on ebay? and there 2nd hand as well!! how you ever going to get your ££ back in eggs?  :lol:
b
I reckon I have the most expensive eggs in the country having bought the Eglu cube and added a walk in run and a second hand Eglu classic as a quarantine coop and run.
I made the decision to go with the Eglu set up mainly because it is so easy to access and clean the house and gives me peace of mind re fox predation and red mite attack.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 19:49 »
I have the eglu classic and love it! Bought it second hand off ebay for £140, bargain. The other coops are wooden and have to treated for red mite all the time, it's far more of an effort to look after the wooden houses that's for sure. I'd love an eglu cube one day.    :)

Dopey113

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 19:54 »
I made mine from pallets, and did all the angles with silicone, I had mine for around 4 years, and it was very easy to clean and never had any disease at all, but maybe I was lucky I dont know

xx
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2010, 01:03
by compostqueen
xx
Eglu Cube

Started by andyhenderson10 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 23, 2009, 17:34
by chuckmum
question
eglu cube

Started by viettaclark on The Hen House

39 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 10:15
by joyfull
xx
Eglu cube

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 09:52
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 40 queries.