Lame pullet- probably Marek's

• 27 Replies

jhub

• jane
Re: Lame pullet- probably Marek's
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 17:24 »
Thanks Casey.
The breeder has offered to cull her if necessary and also wants to perform a post mortem as he doesn't think it's Mareks. I assume he's looking for tumours whereas I thought vaccination prevented tumour formation. I guess he's concerned he has the virus on site.
I think he feels it could be ?lymphoid leukosis??

kegs

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 19:20 »
A bit of light reading for you then jhub  ;).  Although I read it and feel a bit  :wacko:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/203603.htm&word=lymphoid%2clukosis

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 19:46 »
There are different types of mareks - what does your birds eyes look like.
The vaccination once opened has to be used within 30 mins otherwise it is useless. A chap on here (grumpy dad) bought some hens that were supposedly vaccinated and he lost all of them except one. He then introduced more hens of a breed that were supposed to more resistant to it and again lost those. Finally he bought hybrids and as far as I am aware these are living happily with the original hen who recovered from her Mareks. An autopsy is the way to check and the hen needs to be culled just prior to doing it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 21:18 »
Thanks kegs  :ohmy:

Joy- she has a weak leg, some movement but no strength and looks like the photos I've seen of chickens with Mareks affecting sciatic nerve. She has no eye symptoms and is eating and drinking and has not lost weight but is markedly smaller than the other legbar of the same age (although she has always been smaller)

I was steeling myself to take her tomorrow to be culled but have decided to give her the full ten days the vet suggested.
Apparently Cream legbars are another breed more susceptible to Marek's.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 21:34 »
Having read the info about lymphoid leukosis- I think she's too young for this.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 16:16 »
Unfortunately both legs gone this morning so not able to live as a chicken should. Took  her to the breeder who put her down. He was really great and showed me how to do it for future reference.

Also opened her up and all organs looked really healthy so she's going to have a post mortem and toxicology screen- I realise this should be done as soon as possible but not practical as carcass will go to Winchester.

The breeder also showed me invoice and records  for Marek's Vaccine. It is really not that  expensive to buy. In addition he gave me a free sachet of Virkon to sterilise the cage, pet carrier and dishes my pullet had been in. Advised not to consider re stocking for at least six months and always have vaccinated birds.

A sad end for my little legbar.
On a positive note I am so glad I went to this particular breeder and will use him again.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 18:08 »
So sorry jhub, you did everything right and you have gained plenty of knowledge.  Let us know what the results are when you get them.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 18:18 »
so sorry, but I agree your breeder does sound a responsible person.

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 19:55 »
Hi Jhub
Sorry about your chx. Just seen this thread - I had 2 RIRs which I think had mareks. One died as a pullet and the other one recovered and thrived. Sadly the whole flock were taken by a fox in the spring. I've now got a new flock from a different breeder who vaccinates and they all seem very healthy a couple of months in.
So long way of saying it, but sounds like you were just very unlucky with that particular poor chx.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 20:19 »
Thanks henamoured.
It's very sad  but on a positive note  I've learned a lot fom my experience.

kegs

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2012, 20:28 »
An awful situation to be in - I hope it hasn't put you off keeping chickens, although it sounds as if you are finding the positives.  Your breeder sounds as if he gave you a great deal of time and as Joyfull said I'd love to know the results too.  It's situations such as yours that help us all learn too.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 20:39 »
thanks kegs
An awful situation to be in
You know all about that kegs with the problem you had with your hens.
My little legbar was clearly not able to do chickeny things and it wasn't fair to prolong her life. Doesn't always mean its easy though.

kegs

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 13:20 »
Absolutely.  I thought I'd be fine once I made the decision.  However the number of times I kept looking out of the window to check on non existing chickens was unbelievable.  The bit I miss most is that OH put a few branch perches stuck in the ground by our lounge window where our settee is and whenever we had coffee I'd look over at my husband and there'd suddenly be a chicken looking in the window somewhere near his right shoulder!  Far more entertaining than conversation!  ;)

xx
Worms or Marek's?

Started by ClarefromOxford on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2009, 13:42
by ClarefromOxford
xx
Marek's Disease

Started by fluffy on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 10:05
by T C
xx
Marek's Disease

Started by Beth on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2008, 17:28
by Beth
xx
Suppliers of poultry and Marek's diease

Started by happy chick on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post October 14, 2008, 19:40
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 41 queries.