Over wintering onion seed

• 5 Replies

brownp

• Experienced Member
Over wintering onion seed
« on: August 27, 2023, 07:36 »
I normally grow onions from seed. My preference is Globo. I multi sow them in modules at the end of January and by summer normally have a decent crop. The issue is that I generally have a bit of a faff getting them to germinate due to the temperatures at that time of day. I think this was exasperated last year by some bad batches of seed I have to add.
I am thinking of trying over wintering. My plan is to sow a couple of modules now (late August) and leave them in the potting shed over winter and plant out next spring.
My question is….is there anything wrong with this idea? Will both red and white onions be ok like this?
Any thoughts?
Many thanks
Phil

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Over wintering onion seed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 07:58 »
i tried this but found that they tend to go to seed in what is second year when we start ours [ailsa craig] in january we use heated propagator to get them going then grow on in greenhouse.
 good luck.
from bow like to grow

brownp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 08:31 »
i tried this but found that they tend to go to seed in what is second year when we start ours [ailsa craig] in january we use heated propagator to get them going then grow on in greenhouse.
 good luck.
Thanks Steven…I did wonder about bolting….since I stopped using sets, I’ve not had a problem with this. I know that onions can be temperamental, especially red varieties. I don’t over winter everything else as I’ve tended to have poor results.
I think I will put in just enough for one row and see how they perform when compared to the spring sowing of the same variety
Thanks again.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 16:45 »
Bolting is something that happens unexpectedly, if the plant is under stress for example.

Alliums are biennials, which means they set seed in the second year. What's been described is the alliums assuming that the new year is the 'next' or 'second' year :(
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 09:29 »
we grow a several varieties including bulb and pulling onions  or spring onions the bulb  onions are Element and kosma under normal conditions overwintered in the greenhouse they usually turn out quite good slightly ahead of the spring sown the same goes for the spring onions but last year the frost killed them off maybe because they where in an unheated greenhouse and probably with a little heat they mite have survived anyway we have just sown our onion seed in modules both bulb and spring fingers crossed

cc

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2023, 13:01 »
I can't remember which ones I am growing but they are the overwintering ones.
They are planted out now.
First time, so no opinion yet. Never done well with the non overwintering ones, so hoping for better luck with these.

xx
Over wintering onion

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2018, 11:42
by snow white
xx
Over wintering onion red Cross

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2018, 23:23
by DHM
xx
Yellow Globe onion - over wintering?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 15:40
by JohnB47
xx
over wintering (Japanese) onion sets

Started by allotmentvegigirl on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 08, 2008, 18:41
by gobs

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 44 queries.