I Don't Get Artichokes

• 9 Replies

Fisherman

I Don't Get Artichokes
« on: May 07, 2017, 20:35 »
As much as I like more or less all vegetables I just don't get artichokes. They are a big plant taking up loads of room. Each plant provides a few flowers (Artichokes) that have to be cut and prepared ready for cooking. Cooking the chokes can take quite a while then I always find the taste disappointing. When travelling and I see them on restaurant menus I always try them but again i'm always disappointed.
Am I missing something?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: I Don't Get Artichokes
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 21:02 »
I cut mine when fairly small.  The plants just seem to make more all summer long.  They cook quickly and the choke isn't that developed, so the inner leaves are also almost completely edible.  I find the bigger artichokes a faff.  You can only eat the very bases of the leaves and there seems a lot of digging though inedible stuff to get to the heart.

Mine are at home where they do double duty as ornamentals in a couple of mixed borders.  All the better for running back to the kitchen with, to get them into the pan of water already on the boil.  I do think the flavour fades fast once cut and that's why shop bought ones are so bland.  I don't eat them out at restaurants for the same reason.

I did tempura with tiny ones recently, just cut into quarters, dipped into the batter and fried.  That was fab  8) 

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 21:10 »
As much as I like more or less all vegetables I just don't get artichokes. They are a big plant taking up loads of room. Each plant provides a few flowers (Artichokes) that have to be cut and prepared ready for cooking. Cooking the chokes can take quite a while then I always find the taste disappointing. When travelling and I see them on restaurant menus I always try them but again i'm always disappointed.
Am I missing something?
I don't think you are missing anything! Last year I grew artichokes from seed which Santa left in my stocking🙄. Yesterday I harvested artichokes of varying sizes, looked up on tinterweb how to prepare, cook and eat them. I'm afraid I have to say.....a waste of time, not worth the time or energy .....in my opinion!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 22:13 »
Each to their own, I suppose.
I like them, and sowed seeds of the purple ones earlier, so plenty of 'chokes for me next year  :D

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 23:07 »
As much as I like more or less all vegetables I just don't get artichokes. They are a big plant taking up loads of room.

They do not really.

Each plant provides a few flowers (Artichokes)

They provide a lorry-load a season.

that have to be cut and prepared ready for cooking.

Which vegetable you don't need to cut and prepare?

Cooking the chokes can take quite a while

So much untrue, that they are edible as raw, and I do prefer them so quite a lot.

then I always find the taste disappointing. When travelling and I see them on restaurant menus I always try them but again i'm always disappointed.
Am I missing something?

If you don't like them, you don't like them. However, it would seem from your post that you do not know much about them. So it might well be the case that you are missing quite something.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 23:48 by gobs »
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 19:45 »
I was shocked to see that I already have a globe artichoke the size of a golf ball ready for harvesting yesterday.

I'm not particularly convinced by them but if I'm going to get some this early (around asparagus and PSB time) then maybe that will give me more of an incentive to try them for a bit longer.

Fisherman

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 20:59 »
Well after the lecture from gobs I still don't get them. I will try them again for one last time after which i will grow Brussels Sprouts instead :D

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 05:34 by Fisherman »

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:59 »
Well after the lecture from gobs I still don't get them. I will try them again for one last time after which i will grow Brussels Sprouts instead :D

If you like sprouts more, ditch the artichokes and plant sprouts this year  :lol:

See, I don't get sprouts.  I'll eat them if they are put on my plate, but I never grow them or buy them.  Cabbage, kale, broccoli, greens - yup I love them all.  Sprouts ... hmmmmmmm :tongue2:

As MoS says, each to their own  :lol:

gobs

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 22:36 »
I was shocked to see that I already have a globe artichoke the size of a golf ball ready for harvesting yesterday.

I'm not particularly convinced by them but if I'm going to get some this early (around asparagus and PSB time) then maybe that will give me more of an incentive to try them for a bit longer.

Yep, some varieties produce from April to Oct/Nov, depending, where you are.

gobs

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 22:38 »

It's not a lecture, it's just help in case you are missing something. Otherwise, as everybody all along says: grow what you like. Simples.

xx
Artichokes

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post January 30, 2011, 11:16
by PennyS
clip
What to do with these Artichokes?

Started by Wilf on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 31, 2018, 13:58
by New shoot
xx
Artichokes

Started by flowerlady on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 20:04
by richyrich7
xx
Artichokes

Started by SocksOn on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 19:43
by SocksOn

Page created in 0.321 seconds with 40 queries.