Struggling with the greenhouse.

• 16 Replies

Lardman

Struggling with the greenhouse.
« on: June 13, 2012, 14:31 »
I've never really got to grips with growing under glass and Im struggling again this year.

The attached is one of my Cukes - but it could be any of the plants in there (except the toms). There's a bleaching of the leaves back to the veins then they wither and die. I thought it might be too much direct light, but its the same for plants in the frosted plastic greenhouse and also those in the shade in the main body.

Its obvious Im doing something wrong - but what?
bleaching.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Struggling with the greenhouse.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 15:15 »
My cukes are looking sad as well Lardman.  I think its too cool for them even under cover this year  :(

If your toms are doing well, you must be doing something right  :)  What are the other plants you have as we are all struggling a bit this year to get much going.

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 15:29 »
pretty much everything looks like that.

Courgette, pepino, cape goseberry , tomato leaf...
defender.jpg
pepino.jpg
tomleaf.jpg

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 15:31 »
Im pretty sure its the greenhouse conditions as the courgette I kicked outside is as happy as Larry.  ::)

larry.jpg

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 15:32 »
Damp, cool weather. By their nature things that do well in greenhouses like it HOT!

Fat chance at the moment. We will all have to hope that we get better weather soon, or the season will go the same way as last. :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 16:26 »
How long have they been in that size pot? do they need potting on? cos they might have used all the goodness in the compost - these new composts are absolute crepe IMO and plants seem to need feeding before they should  >:(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 16:50 »
Hmmmmm.............my outdoor defender courgettes looked like your indoor ones, although they've looked distinctly happier since I covered them with makeshift plastic cloches.

I would have said leaf scorch and possibly being weakened by prolonged low temperatures - mum is not the only one to have lost confidence in recent compost offerings (especially the things you can't see, like nutrients!) so a liquid feed might help strengthen them until warmer conditions come along...............
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 17:36 »
How long have they been in that size pot? do they need potting on?

The pepinos - a while but the cukes / courgettes a week - 10 days at most, while I agree modern compost is pants I can't see the plant being established enough to have used anything from it.  Going over last years pictures the toms were the same, and I mixed different types of compost and soil to rule the growing medium out.

Im tempted to bring a few of the plants into the house and put them in a darker location, although that will change both temperature and light levels, so even if there is an improvement I wouldn't be sure as to why.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 18:16 »
Leaving aside the compost nutrient issue, they need warmth and as much light as they can get, even if they get scorched again - make sure you don't wet the leaves when watering if at all possible.

Lardman

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 19:10 »
Leaving aside the compost nutrient issue, they need warmth and as much light as they can get, even if they get scorched again - make sure you don't wet the leaves when watering if at all possible.

I've been very careful with the water - none has been on any of the leaves although I can't speak for condensation.  I has been colder in the greenhouse at night lately down to 4c or so , but they were "double bagged".

Nobody thinks it's likely to be a too much direct sunlight rather than just light conditions then?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 21:28 »
I think its cold scorch rather than heat scorch.  The funny wrinkles in the leaves, discolouration and the way some of the leaves have lost patches of their insides look like unhappy and sulking 'cos its too cold to me.

4 degrees is pretty cold for some of those plants to cope with, even if you covered them.  You could try liquid seaweed feed on them.  It can work miracles on stressed plants, particularly if you invest in a hand sprayer and use as a foliar feed  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 21:33 »
chh! I am having much the same problems. Hard to think we are having this conversation in the second week of JUNE isn't it.  :(  Today was the first glimmer of sunshine for ages, but the temperatures have really dropped now. Been out in the garden doing this and that, and really noticed the fall in temps. My courgettes cucs and toms are all sitting sulking in the greenhouse.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 16:20 »
I struggle with cukes every year I've tried.

A lot of people say you can't grow tomas and cukes in the same greenhouse beacuse the toms like the harsh heat and light and the cukes need a bit less light and more humidity.
My cukes are becoming bleached so might need to curtain them off a bit and see what happens! :)

Spana

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 18:15 »
Have you had a good look for red spider mite :unsure:

Lardman

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 21:11 »
A lot of people say you can't grow tomas and cukes in the same greenhouse beacuse the toms like the harsh heat and light and the cukes need a bit less light and more humidity.

That's why I've got them in a second greenhouse inside the main one.

I've now brought 4 out of 6 back into the house and the new leaves are fine  - It's definitely the greenhouse, Im not convinced it's cold alone - next door has his cukes / toms in the greenhouse and they look fine but given the location of his greenhouse I don't think he has the temperature ranges that mine does.

Have you had a good look for red spider mite :unsure:

Yep - the plants are clean.

xx
When is it too hot in a greenhouse?

Started by Yana on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:46
by Yana
xx
Greenhouse already 35 oC

Started by hubballi on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post February 23, 2012, 12:41
by hubballi
xx
A new greenhouse

Started by meriad on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

16 Replies
Last post February 07, 2019, 13:47
by grinling
xx
6x6 Greenhouse Set-up

Started by christokes87 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2012, 05:58
by davel831

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 37 queries.