leek moth - help

• 25 Replies

spocke

leek moth - help
« on: September 15, 2011, 12:20 »
First year on the allotment, and my leeks have been decimated by leek moth.
I've dug them all up and disposed off them...

Is it safe to plant in the same space/raised bed again? Or am I better off to leave this bed well alone for a while?
Would onions suffer if I put them in there later this year (trying to stick to my rotation plan, if I can and put alliums in this year...)

Because I don't want to do without leeks this winter, does anybody know of a good plug plant supplier who doesn't charge stupid prices? (Hope it's not too late in the year to get a decent supply...)

Thanks for any advice.
Sandra

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: leek moth - help
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26 »
Leek moth is not a soil borne problem, such as white rot, so you'll be quite safe.

Looks like the only way around this problem is to mesh/fleece against the darn thing.

Can't help with a cheap supplier, sorry.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 16:20 »
Don't talk to me about blasted leek moth !

As suggested on here I cut all mine down to ground level, and was very encouraged to see them start to grow again without turning to mush.

Only to find this, when I checked over them again this afternoon.  >:( Surely once is enough !

notfair.jpg

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 18:18 »
Waste of time putting leeks in now unless you are offered plants free. Not worth buying any.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 22:14 »
Mine have now been hit for 2nd year running, next year I'll have to fleece, unless anyone knows of a resistant variety??

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 22:29 »
Leek moth is a relatively new pest, so I doubt any resistant strains have been developed yet.

rubyrose

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 23:04 »
hi I have around 100 leeks in the ground and all but 5 have been attacked by the leek moth, i assume that is what has laid eggs and hatched out after reading this thread.    last weekend i cut them all down to just below the holes in the sides of leeks and found maggots.             another plot holder told me to spray them with bug clear which i have in the hope to save some of them.  will see when i get to lotty tomorrow

viettaclark

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 00:33 »
I found mine regrew last year. Hold off ripping them out!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:51 »
I've not heard of cutting leeks down, and letting them grow again.

Assume this also slows them down, and may stop them bolting too, which seems to be happening to a few we have.

Any views on this anyone please?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 07:06 »
They do regrow, although you don't get as big a leek as you would have done, but at least you get something.

You have to be sure you cut off all the affected leek though.

Nicki85

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:23 »
They really are a horrible pest aren't they?!  I've had 'em on my leeks to  :(  I love leeks so find it all very sad... Next year i'm going to fleece from day 1.  This year I got my fleece up a little to late.

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57 »
The old boys on the plot where i am spray theirs with boiled juice of rubarb leaves and they say it works, theirs havent got leek moth and mine have, think i will try it next year.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 06:02 »
They do regrow, although you don't get as big a leek as you would have done, but at least you get something.

You have to be sure you cut off all the affected leek though.

Thanks DD, somehow I missed this!

Any bolted ones can still have the stem trimmed out, by cutting them lengthways, and just hoiking the thing out.

They're fine for soup then. That hoiked stem is a bit tough, we find.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 13:32 »
found some leek moth damage on mine today :(

Pulled a few out for leek/potato/cheese pan fry for lunch. Fingers crossed for the rest!

The OBs say they grow out of it anyway, cos the cold eventually kills the bugs off and leeks just carry on growing through the winter  :unsure: anyone else found that this approach works?

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 17:59 »
found some leek moth damage on mine today :(

Pulled a few out for leek/potato/cheese pan fry for lunch. Fingers crossed for the rest!

The OBs say they grow out of it anyway, cos the cold eventually kills the bugs off and leeks just carry on growing through the winter  :unsure: anyone else found that this approach works?

Hi MOS,

It probably depends on the level of attack. If there is only minimal damage, then they should grow out of it, but if they have been badly attacked, and have numerous caterpillars in each leek then they may not. Some times it appears to be just the tops, but often the attack is lower down the stem. Once the caterpillars start burrowing deep into the stem, then rot can set in as well.
I'm thinking of covering with fleece next year. The cost of enviromesh for about 200 leeks is beyond my pocket I'm afraid.
I would use debris netting, but all those eyelet holes would need to be stitched tight as the moth is very tiny.

It's all good news isn't it  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

xx
leek moth

Started by davethespread on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 01, 2009, 12:17
by corynsboy
xx
Leek moth

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post September 16, 2014, 19:19
by Beetroot Queen
xx
Leek moth

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 10:02
by new_2_veg
xx
Leek moth

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2021, 20:32
by Anton

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 35 queries.