fig "tree"

• 29 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
Re: fig "tree"
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 10:28 »
Well, going back to a post I made "a while ago"!

The advice given here seemed to work really well, and our fig plant took on a whole new life last summer.... so much so that it formed two buds in the autumn, which seemed to be developing nicely into figs this spring... until this week... when both have fallen off the plant  :ohmy: They had reached walnut sized, and looked quite healthy until just a few days ago when they started to go brown and wrinkly, then dropped off yesterday!

Any ideas?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 10:35 »
I think it may have been the cold weather we've had this summer. :(

This is the RHS advice:

o   Spring: remove any branches that spoil the shape, or which are crossing or damaged, along with any suckers appearing from the ground
o   Summer: pinch out the new growth at five or six leaves
o   Autumn: remove any large figs that have failed to ripen, but leave the pea-sized embryonic fruit

Perhaps you didn't remove the ones that had not ripened last summer.

Tom Hill

• Experienced Member
  • Mastiff Lover
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:04 »
I have a Bavarian fig three years old and it is about 8 foot high, no branches for the first 3'.  Last year it produced "3" figs about the size of hen's eggs.  This year it looks as if four might result from the dozens of little ones.  The fruit tends to turn yellow and drop off when it gets to about an inch and a half long.  The leaves look healthy enough but are few and well spaced.
Sometimes it is better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of knowing nothing than opening it and proving it.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 17:50 »

o   Autumn: remove any large figs that have failed to ripen, but leave the pea-sized embryonic fruit

Perhaps you didn't remove the ones that had not ripened last summer.

:lol: :lol:

Sorry, I can't help but laugh! The two tiny buds were the first sign of figs on the plant since it was bought. Previou to this (and I guess also now this year) it has been purely decorative!

But thanks for the advice. I think, now the only "fruit" has gone, it may be time for another prune back.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 17:52 »

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:55 »
Well, some progress clearly made thanks to the advice on here.... I guess that these aren't going to ripen though, which is a shame....

fig3.JPG
fig1.JPG

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:47 »
Well, not year! 

I had my first figs this year after 5 years of pot growing to restrict roots- nothing. Finally stuck it in the ground last year- it overwintered with ones the size of yours and we had 5 off it this year and another 20 tiny ones now.  I can't bear to remove any I'm so pleased we got something, but I think the correct advice is to only overwinter pea sized ones.  I love the leaf shape too  :happy:

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 14:31 »
I have a young indoor fig tree, about 3ft high now. Only problem is that it basically consists of just 3 spindly stems with 3-4 leaves at the top with the rest bare. Not the most attractive thing in the conservatory. I'd like it to have many more stems and become a bit bushier. When is best time to prune, and if I give it a severe pruning such as removing about half of each of the stems, would it respond well? Thx.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 16:06 »
I have a young indoor fig tree, about 3ft high now. Only problem is that it basically consists of just 3 spindly stems with 3-4 leaves at the top with the rest bare. Not the most attractive thing in the conservatory. I'd like it to have many more stems and become a bit bushier. When is best time to prune, and if I give it a severe pruning such as removing about half of each of the stems, would it respond well? Thx.

Have a look at this:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?PID=106
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 17:02 »
I have a fig, variety unknown, growing outside in Glasgow against a South facing wall, and it fruits reliably every year. This year, with a mild Winter and a hot Summer, it has produced two crops. I know of three other figs grown in greenhouses, which are producing well.

Trillium

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2013, 03:28 »
YOu do know that figs make the little fruit buds this year that will mature next year, right? That's typical for figs.

And they do love an annual feeding with compost, regular rain watering and warmth.

I have to take in my fig trees for winter after they've shed their leaves and they stay in my cold cellar where it's dark and cool but not freezing.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 14:33 »
YOu do know that figs make the little fruit buds this year that will mature next year, right? That's typical for figs.

And they do love an annual feeding with compost, regular rain watering and warmth.

I have to take in my fig trees for winter after they've shed their leaves and they stay in my cold cellar where it's dark and cool but not freezing.

Last year's tiny buds (all 3 of them) grew to about sprout size then dropped off in the Spring... But I took Aunt Sally's advice and read the advice on the RHS website and this seems to have helped. But even though I know it's the right thing to do, like pigguns, I feel reluctant to take off these late 'figlets' that have grown, as they are the largest that have grown since I bought the original fig-twig 5 years ago!

mpod001

• Martin
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 23:20 »
I've had about 200 figs off my tree this year :-o
Martin

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 13:22 »
Just posted this in the "what I harvested" thread, then remembered that I'd posted this over the last couple of years!

So.... here it is....our first ever Northumbrian fig  :D

There are three more full-sized ones ripening (from last year's buds) and about two dozen small, new buds developing :)

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 13:33 »
Wow, that's fantastic well done!!
That must be so satisfying, I have just read your original topic.  :)

Maybe I shall put potted fig tree back on my list ( of things I want to grow but will more than likely die )

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
How severely can you "prune" a cherry tree?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2013, 09:07
by diospyros
xx
apple tree "leg" grafted onto m9 rootstock

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 09:33
by John
xx
Beetroot ... which is better "Solist" or "Monika"

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2014, 22:33
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.