fig "tree"

• 29 Replies

lazza

• Experienced Member
fig "tree"
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:59 »
Not sure if I should post this here or in the general gardening section, as I would not really say that I'm growing my fig for the fruit it yields....  :lol:

Anyway, I've been growing a fig plant in a pot for the last few years. It started out as a thin stick, and it's now split out into several longer thin branches, maybe each a foot long. Every year so far, the new growth has been quite impressive, and we have always had several lovely huge green leaves on each branch. But this year, there is only one leaf on each branch, and it's rather small. Now, to make things worse, the leaves are turning brown around the edges, with the brown edge being very dry and brittle.  :(

I'm not expecting miracles (or even figs) but it's such a lovely plant, I'd be quite sad if it died! Any ideas? I'm wondering if it's my negligence, as I forgot to bring it inside early enough this winter and it got buried under two feet of snow.... :unsure:

stompy

Re: fig "tree"
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:29 »
I grew a fig tree for 3 years in a pot at home.

We got figs on it in it's second year and they were fab, unfortunately we had an intruder in the back garden who tried to get into the shed but failed, so instead they/he/she trashed the plants that were growing the fig being one of them.

Upto that point it grew great, it was the variety Brown Turkey which is a good UK variety.

We have had one of the worst winters in a long time so this could be something to do with it, what variety is it you've got?

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:46 »
crikey... FRUIT!  8)

but idiots trashing your garden  :(

Absolutely no idea what variety it is.... it came as a "free gift" from a seed catalogue about 3 or 4 years ago (two twigs: one an olive, one a fig) but I can't remember even seeing any info on variety. Also, I'll be honest, I've not taken much notice of varieties until the last year or so  ::)

It is only about 18" tall, so I don't expect any fruit TBH. But it's been very decorative in the past, with the big dark green leaves, so it's a shame to see it in such a poor condition this year....

stompy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 12:01 »
Mine was only 12" tall when we got the fruit on it  :ohmy:
We couldn't believe it.

It really is dependant onvariety to be honest, but don't overwater it and check to see if it needs re-potting maybe!

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 13:51 »
Mine was only 12" tall when we got the fruit on it  :ohmy:

:tongue2:

and that was in Hull? Can't be too different to conditions up here....  ::)

stompy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 13:57 »
and that was in Hull? Can't be too different to conditions up here

You'd be surprised, we are in a hollow and because of the huge volume of water in the Humber we don't tend to get extremes in weather.

If it's hot or cold the water of the humber stops it from getting too cold or too hot  ;)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 14:12 »
I bought a fig (well, a stick claiming to be a fig) 3 years ago from a supermarket, cost £1.99 i think.

3 years later and it's 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and growing in a bucket in the greenhouse  :)

No fruit yet, but here's hoping.

As for yours Lazza, does it need repotting? Each year at the beginning of the spring and just before the fig wakes up, I have increased the size of the pot mine is in and added home made compost. It also gets a good liquid feed every so often (when I remember).
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

stompy

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 14:17 »
I only increase the pot after 2 or 3 years.

I take it out of the pot before it wakes up and with a knife i trim the root ball back by an inch or two then back into the same pot with new compost, it was in a 10" pot before it was desroyed.

These trees fruit best when the roots are kept contained and a little stresses.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 14:18 »
It's starting to sound like it needs a new pot...or some TLC for the roots... I haven't repotted for 18 months, so sounds a good bet...

@stompy: I recognise the micro-climate thing. We lived in Whitley Bay on the coast in North Tyneside for 7 years, and had a similar effect, although not quite so positive (i.e. it was 5 degrees colder than anywhere else most of the time!!)

stompy

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 14:21 »
It really does make a significant difference.

I used to go out with a girl at a little village only 12 mile away a few years back and i used to leave Hull in Winter with wet roads and by time i got to south cave there was thick snow everywhere.

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 18:13 »
haha! I remember visiting the in-laws in Preston a couple of years ago in the summer. It was 31C when we left their house according to the car, and still 29C when we turned off the M6 at Carlisle... it was even 27C as we passed Newcastle.... then 15C by the time we reached Whitley Bay  :ohmy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 18:14 »
Figs do prefer to have confined roots to do well, so don't increase the size of the pot too much - and aelf you may want to keep an eye on this aspect too.

It could have been the harsh winter if it's not the variety Brown Turkey.

Check there aren't any pests on it.  Make sure it gets the right amount of water, and give it a liquid seaweed or similar tonic feed.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2011, 18:27 »
i tried growing figs from seed last year gave up then bought on for a pound only to discover one of the seeds grew , after winter seed one carried on growing the bought one stopped  i cut it back and low and behold its gone mad again  ,so have two now

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 19:32 »
Figs do respond well to hard pruning, too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 09:22 »
thanks everyone... a new (slightly bigger) pot, a good prune, and a good feed!

as for pests - well, the leaves are much rougher and thicker this year than usual, and quite "bumpy" in parts, like coarse sandpaper. Could this be a pest...? It could be small eggs into the leaves, I guess...?

xx
Are you a seed "chitting" or "no-chit" sort of person?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 12:00
by crh75
xx
How severely can you "prune" a cherry tree?

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 22, 2013, 09:07
by diospyros
xx
apple tree "leg" grafted onto m9 rootstock

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 09:33
by John
xx
Onion "Radar" and "Electric"

Started by freefolk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 26, 2017, 16:39
by freefolk

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 35 queries.