Bland Blueberries

• 2 Replies

Lardman

Bland Blueberries
« on: July 10, 2011, 13:21 »
Im somewhat disappointed with them, they don't seem to have any flavour  :wacko:

Im not sure If Im picking them off too soon, there's some give in the fruit and they come off the bush with a little twist. They're not bitter or unpleasant just rather bland.  :(

The ones I've left to get a little more mature seem to disappear despite being fully enclosed with netting (my money is on tree rats).

Trillium

Re: Bland Blueberries
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 16:31 »
Like anything, you need to manure the plant for flavor. True, you need ericacious soil for blueberries, but they also need a generous annual feeding of manure. Rotted chicken or pigeon manure give the best flavor, but any of the others will do well too. Add at the very start of the growing season and you should notice a difference next year. And don't over water as you can literally wash out flavor.

gobs

Re: Bland Blueberries
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 18:25 »
If you need to twist, they are unlikely to be ripe.

A lot of critters go for the fruit. This year, for the first time, we did not get to eat any gooseberries, currants and now the raspberries are also gone. And not to birds, either.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
bland tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 14, 2017, 13:10
by meriad
xx
potatoes a bit bland?

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2020, 12:01
by bayleaf
xx
Brandywine so bland

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 17, 2018, 18:44
by Growster...
xx
My new potatoes are bland

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 12:06
by JWK

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 34 queries.