sick looking tree

• 6 Replies

chrissie B

sick looking tree
« on: April 15, 2011, 00:27 »
hi all in my garden i have a rhodadendron i think it is anyway only had this garden a month it had loads of buds but the leaves didnt look good the flowers opend some were good some had brown edges lots dropped off , the lady next dor has one and its lovly drk greeen leaves but her buds havent opend yet mine have all almost dropped off now , ive been told he old gent that lived here knew a thing or 2 about gardening but it was looking sick when we moved in any ideas guys as its a lovley tree it has one trunk that splits into 3 and twist in a little hes left me some stuff and ive fed it but no joy shall i feed again , it was done 2 weeks ago .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

fatcat1955

Re: sick looking tree
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:29 »
Sounds like bud blast to me, i think that's what they call it. Also could be frost damage. If your rhodo is frosted overnight and then gets the morning sun before the frost has melted this can cause problems.

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:21 »
next doors is more in the corner than mine , will it recover is there anything i can give it to help it along a bit i hope so as its a lovley tree .
thanks for the help
chrissie b

fatcat1955

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 16:21 »
If it is bud blast, the flower buds will be covered in a bristly black growth. Remove and burn all infected buds and the tree should be ok next year. If it is frost damage , cover the tree with horticultural fleece or the like to keep the worst of the frost off. Remember to check on the ground for any fallen buds as the fungus can live for 3 years.

chrissie B

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 22:21 »
there is no black only loads of buds have turned brown and dropped off and the outside of the flowers atr brown tinged , the leaves are not a good colour so will just have to wait and see what happens , thanks for the help
chrissie b

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 16:08 »
I would give it a drench with sequestrine tonic for ericaceous plants in case the iron in the soil is not being taken up by the plant, as happens with alkaline soils re- your comment about the leaves not looking good. Browning of the flowers and buds could be due to drying winds and/ or frost.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chrissie B

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 23:15 »
well now you mention it there has been a lot of wind but i was giving it a good look over today and there are lots of new leaves coming and thy are darker and glossy dont know f there will be anymore flowers fingers crossed as its very pretty, its a shame it has no smell ,  thanks for the help the old gent has left me loads of stuff in the shed and ts had a feed so will give it some more ..
chrissie b

xx
Sick lemon tree

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 07:18
by sunshineband
clip
Sick sunflowers

Started by Zyg on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 18:48
by Yorkie
clip
Sick Bay Laurel

Started by Beano on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2019, 17:14
by Beano
xx
Sick rose-bed

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

27 Replies
Last post March 12, 2013, 10:13
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 32 queries.