2 of my free range hens haven't returned

• 17 Replies

julieboydell

2 of my free range hens haven't returned
« on: March 20, 2011, 19:58 »
i've got 5 chickens (that i love dearly), i've had them since september and they are free range at the back of our house on some spare land,  its sort of like a meadow and they've always been really happy and at dusk without fail every evening they come back to their coop.

tonight though I went to see if they were back (they always stay together) and 2 of them are missing, i fell really really upset and worried - its dark now i can't see them - i've looked all over - does anyone think there might be any chance that they may come back?   

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: 2 of my free range hens haven't returned
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2011, 20:24 »
There have been a few posts on here recently with similar stories.  I wonder if this is the season for chickens to go exploring further afield?  A lot of the stories have happy endings so yes, there is a chance your chickens will come back.  Look out for them in the morning in their usual favourite places.

Fingers crossed for the safe return of your little wanderers.

julieboydell

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2011, 20:39 »
thank you so much for yo.r reply, i will keep my fingers crossed  xx
don't think i could go through this again though so even if the worst has happened i think i might have to put something up to keep them more contained.  the land where they roam usually has quite a few dog walkers through the day so i don't know if there would be foxes around then. i have managed to stop crying now that i've read your reply and you've given me some hope so THANK YOU !!  :)   

pigeonpie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 20:46 »
Hi,
As Lindeggs says free range girls do tend to go for a wander now and then.  One of mine was missing yesterday afternoon, we decided not to worry as she often takes herself off and has always come back.  As we drove through the village at 4 ish yesterday afternoon there she was walking along the pavement in the direction of our place.  She looked completely unconcerned and seemed to know where she was going, she just looked like she was out for a saturday afternoon stroll!!!!
Fingers crossed your girls have just developed the sight seeing bug! 

julieboydell

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 20:51 »
thanks so much pigeonpie for your reply.  i really do appreciate it.  did your missing chick stay    out all night ?   don't think i'll be getting much sleep tonight.  i just hope and pray i find them safe and well tomorrrow.  you get soo so atached to them don't you? x

pigeonpie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 20:59 »
She has stayed out overnight a few times and some of the others have as well. To be honest I've given up counting them now as I worry more when I know one of them is missing and they always turn up eventually, sometimes with the help of friends and neighbours who find scruffy looking chickens (mine are all ex battery hens) in random places.
I love my girls to bits and hope that they are safe but I would much prefer them to have the wild life and take the risk that something may happen to them than keep them in a small coop which to me isn't much better than the life they had in battery cages.
I guess the grass is always greener on the other side!  ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 21:03 »
I have had this happen lots of times and yes it is worrying the first couple (one I did think had gone for good but no - 3 weeks later she came back with 8 little chicks), so don't worry too much  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

rossivale

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 21:16 »
wow Joyful 3 weeks later and chicks!  What a lovely home coming that must have been.

My hens wonder, and on a few occasions have stayed out all night, usually up a tree, (and I give up trying to coax then down).

Let us know tomorrow julieboydell when you hens come home. x
Jo

julieboydell

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 21:48 »
THANK YOU ALL !!!!  for your encouraging replies.  hopefully i will have some good news tomorrow xx

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:40 »
Any sign of the missing hens ?
Fingers and toes crossed  :)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:41 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

julieboydell

after a very sleepless night, and getting up at the crack of dawn to search for my missing girls - I AM VERY VERY VERY HAPPY  to announce that they were found alive and well at 9am - a friend of my daughters who lives a few streets away had found them yesterday wandering on the canal embankment and so she had taken them in and kept them in her shed.  A BIG thank you to all you lovely people who sent messages of encouragement.  I can't tell you how relieved I am !!!    All is well with my world again and they are acting as if nothing has happended - cheeky things !!!!     

Fisherman

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 11:06 »
Well that's really good news :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 11:08 »
wonderful news and such lucky hens to have been found by somebody who knows them. Perhaps you will have to make sure your place is escape proof as next time they may not be so lucky  :(

Beano

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 12:27 »
PHEW!!! I'm so glad for you and your chickens. It's nice to have some good news on a Monday morning.
El.

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 13:38 »
thank you so much for yo.r reply, i will keep my fingers crossed  xx
don't think i could go through this again though so even if the worst has happened i think i might have to put something up to keep them more contained.  the land where they roam usually has quite a few dog walkers through the day so i don't know if there would be foxes around then.   

Even a playful dog can do a lot of damage to a hen without meaning too, a dog in hunting mode even more so.
I would not let hens free range in this situation.

Glad you got your hens back ok. :)

xx
Free Range - new hens

Started by mrssue on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 11:17
by mrssue
xx
'Free Range' rescued hens

Started by Carrie99 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post September 25, 2012, 09:39
by GrannieAnnie
xx
dogs and free range hens

Started by andy and deb on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 21:57
by Raven81
xx
keeping free range hens in

Started by donnaw on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2011, 19:44
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 36 queries.