First allotment & Bindweed

• 27 Replies

JohnB47

Re: First allotment & Bindweed
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 17:20 »
I was you a year ago with a plot full of brambles and bindweed. The brambles are the easier of the two but expect to have to persevere for a couple of years. I have not used glyphosphate much - only on my main path- I dont like the idea of growing on treated areas. So it has meant a lot of digging out with a fork and then taking to heart the phrase"Never let them see a Monday" hoe off the bindweed every time you go onto the plot. I found an azada useful for the brambles.
I looked at the azada - it looks good - do you just use it for hacking at bramble, which I do not have (luckily) but we do have some persistent weed and my back breaks when clearing it. Can this tool be used for that do you know/have experience of? Thanks.

I use my azada more than any other tool. It makes light work of brambles - you can get it underneath and pop them out easier than with a fork. I use it for rough digging ground that has not been dug for years. You can either pick out the roots as you go along or if it is really bad then go over again with a fork. It is really good for turning over ground at the end of the season - I find I turn over a bed 2-3 times faster than with a fork. I use it for trenching for planting spuds and also for earthing up. It can even be used to lift turf if your not worried about reusing the turf - it tends to break it up a bit but that might be user error.

There is a knack to using it - you tend to walk forward and pull the soil towards you. It may well suit you if you have a bad back - I tend to find the bit between my shoulders aches after using it for a long time rather than my back. However you will still need to bend down to pick out the roots of weeds like bindweed - sorry!

Why does this keep happening? As before 'bigben' appears to have quoted an earlier post without saying anything himself. Is this a fault with the system or is there a good reason for doing this?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 17:51 »
It's hardly anything sinister - just operator error! :lol:

bigben has typed his reply within the quotes. I've corrected it now.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bigben

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 18:55 »
It's hardly anything sinister - just operator error! :lol:

bigben has typed his reply within the quotes. I've corrected it now.
Thanks DD :nowink:

:nowink: :nowink:

NaomiNome

• NomeGrown - my blog
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 20:22 »
I chuck all weed roots on my compost heap, leave it a year before using, and almost nothing survives. The occasional thick white live root will appear when I'm forking it over but it isn't much trouble to pick those out. I think it IS the bindweed that survives, but only the occasional bit (and the occasional bit of horseradish too). A good dark hot compost heap will kill most things.

(Avoid seedheads though! Fat hen seeds are my arch enemy...)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 16:43 »
OK I have my bindweed growing up bamboo canes which are stuck through plasic bin bags. I have sprayed them with pathclear and thought that was it. I have since checked out on the site and notice that I am meant to do it when there are several dry days ahead   :(

Next to this page I have the met office rainfall radar.. Not good.

Have I endangered the other plants nearby ( chemical getting washed off onto them) or is it just that it wont be effective and I will have to redo it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 16:54 »
I'd see how they do without respraying.

I'd also suggest that you look at the particular instructions re. pathclear.  If I recall correctly (and I may not be doing so), there is a second active ingredient in it which keeps the paths - and other surfaces - vegetation free for 6 months.  If so, I'd avoid using it on the plot even though the first active ingredient is glyphosate.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 17:15 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Grubbypaws

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 17:10 »
Yes Yorkie I have just looked at the active ingredients and you are right  :(

I really wish that I hadn't used it now but I did only spray the actively growing top leaves in the bag so hopefully I will get away with it. I guess some could have dripped down the cane and contaminated the soil where the cane is embedded. I will dig that area out when I remove the canes.

This feels like one of those horrid moments when you know that you have been truly dumb.

Any idea how long I have to wait before I can know whether I have got away with it?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 17:19 »
I only know about it because I so very nearly did the same thing...  :ohmy:

My instinct is that you'll be fine next season, remove the soil if you want.  Don't worry too much.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 17:29 »
The canes with the bindweed are in one of my only flower beds surrounded by some lovely perennials which I have grown as a backdrop to a new patio.

I am very worried  :(

I have just popped out and wrapped the bags with duct tape; neighbours have been looking on with astonishment at my frenzied activity.

I guess it is just wait and see... at which I am the worlds worst.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 17:38 »
As you're that worried, I would cut the bindweed off at soil level and remove the canes now, rather than waiting for the chemical to take effect on the leaves.  The bindweed will grow back but it minimises the risk from the existing, sprayed plant.  You can always have another go in the future with non-pathclear glyphosate if you want to.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 17:42 »
Good idea.

Thank you Yorkie and thank you for admitting that you nearly did the same!

Do you think that I am worrying too much?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 20:06 »
To be honest, I don't know what sort of effect it will have - if any - on the area.

The extent of any impact will, I think, depend on how much of the substance got onto the soil.  It may be that there is no damage at all.  It may be that some gets into the soil and then absorbed through the roots of the surrounding perennials.

The glyphosate will be inactive on contact with the soil, but the other ingredient is more persistent.

I think you'll see any damage within a couple of weeks - other than removing the weed / canes, the only other thing you can do is remove the top bit of soil where the canes were too.

Nobody can answer your question for sure.

alancas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 10:36 »
i agree with bigben regards azada,very fast working tool when you get used to it,but fork over after using it the roots will come out easier and not so back breaking,research azada on the internet you will be able to view videos on their use.

xx
Bindweed

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 21:36
by pedro
xx
Bindweed

Started by Fafafifi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 13, 2006, 14:03
by Verminer
question
what to do with bindweed??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post August 07, 2013, 11:47
by mumofstig
xx
Bindweed

Started by MalcW on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2013, 14:30
by Kristen

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 36 queries.